Do I buy a bigger budget brand screen or a smaller name brand screen?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by theo cupier, Sep 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm buying a second TV to go in the "playroom" of my house. It'll mostly be used for the kids to watch TV, or some DVDs and even VHS.

The sofa is going to be about 3m from the screen but, kids being kids, I'm sure they (and I, if I ever have to use it) will sit nearer. Realistically I don't want to buy anything bigger than a 26in because we'd have nowhere to put it, though.

Budget, however, is a real consideration. My wife would be quite happy spending less than £100 on a CRT set, but I'm trying to argue for upto £200-300 on an LCD, just for space reasons.

Ultimately, I doubt the kids will mind too much about stunning picture quality, but I don't want to buy a complete duffer of a set.

So, if I'm stuck with a budget around £250 and these usage requirements (ie watching from a bit of a distance but needs to look reasonable with low quality SD signals, which I gather can really show up on LCDs), am I better buying a smaller screen from one of the decent name brands - like a 21in Samsung for example - or will I be OK with a larger screen from a "budget" brand, like a 26in Mirai, Tevion, DMTech, Hanspree, Venturer, Technika or something like that?

I've already got a "spare" DVD player and PVR, so it doesn't need anything built in.

2. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Personally if it was me, I would go for the budget model. As you say, the kids are not going to pick fault with pictures the way we do. Anyway, budget does not have to mean rubbish any more.

3. MrLOL

MrLOL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    is this your Living Room TV

or one for the kids ?

if its for the kids go for one of the cheaper ones. Providing you spend enough to get one that doesnt fall apart you'll be fine

best bet, is to try and find a branded name discontinued on sale

EG Currys had a great Deal on the old Samsung R74 range when they got discontinued. Think the 26" was only £300 or something. But it was in store only as it was clearing their old stock.

4. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    is it going flat against a wall or tucked in a corner?

if it's in a corner, it's a no brainer: CRT.

your £100-odd budget will get you a decent 26-28" Sony 100Hz widescreen

that will beat any LCD on reproduction of SD (or VHS!) signals...

flat against the wall or if space is that much of an issue... then something like a Hanspree (LCD) will do you FINE... not sure about the smaller screens, but their 32" model was going for <&#163;300 a month ago!

if you pick carefully, then there are a lot of "budget" LCD's than are a lot better than some of the middle of the market LCD's...

5. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
  6. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    not bad <&#163;200 at current bid... but isn't that model several generations behind the current R88's... so it's far from "new".

LG 26" 26LC55 &#163;359 from Dabs.

Not within budget, but just as a taster...

Or the LG 26LC2R, &#163;300 from Richer Sounds.

Or rather than blowing your budget, I'll just ruin your "space saving" plans: Hanspree 32", Hanspree Xv32 / "YT07-32E1-000G", &#163;300 from eBuyer or I think this is the same one (for the same price) from DirectTVs.co.uk.

edit: is there a record for the highest ratio of "words" vs "useful URL links" in one post?

7. TRON1

TRON1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres a cyberdyne lcd tv at digitaldirect for only £279
    26"Screen
    2x HDMI
    Intergrated freeview(digital tv)
    2x Scart
    It might be a no name model but look at the spec,theres not many top brand models that can match that.

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Useful advice and I think it confirms what I was thinking.
    It's a second TV for the kids. I'll be keeping first "dibs" on the 42in Panny plasma in the front room whenever possible!

The plan is for it to sit on a shelf where space is at a premium, so a CRT is probably a no go (certainly if my memory of my old 28in CRT is anything to go by!)

Part of the issue here is that Mrs Cupier thinks a 14in CRT will be fine, whereas I'm pushing for a bigger screen, but I suspect anything over 26in will be a no-go, whatever the science of viewing distances say.

You're right that the kids won't whine about PQ like I do, but having seen some DMTech LCDs (37in with built in DVD players) recently and not been impressed much I hesitate about my ability to buy something too "cheap" as it would just weigh on my conscience!

Are Mirai and Hanspree the best of the "no name" brands, then? Equally, are there ones to avoid (ie should I not go to Tesco tonight and pick up one of their Technikas??)

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    If it is just for kids, I would go to Tesco's and get one of their cheap TV's if they are cheap enough. I have seen them and they are fine for the money. I wouldn't want to spend money on brand name TV.

How about this one at £280? It is has the same spec as my Hannspree one. The price might be different instore though.

They also shouldn't have any problems with returning it if it needs to.

10. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Okay - if the cap is 26" and LCD is a must...

I stand by my "LG 26LC2R, &#163;300 from Richer Sounds."

If that's a bit too rich (or too big), then the 22" LG from Scan for &#163;250.... I've got the 20" version and use it for a nicely tucked away TV in the bedroom.... Only downside of these is that if you're using the HDMI to DVI input, then you'll need separate audio... since you said SD and VHS sources, i'm guessing that's not an issue.

If you're okay with 1000:1 contrast ratios (e.g. on the Tesco's "technosonic"), and the missus is nudging you towards the smaller end of the spectrum... then you might consider a 20" NQ211 from ComputerSupermarket.com for &#163;163 incl delivery!

If you don't need HDMI* in or component in and you don't mind plugging in a spare pair of speakers (maybe &#163;10?), then this has very good viewing angles and is pretty decent little bundle that will still allow Svideo, composite, VGA(RGB) and DVI connectivity... it also has a stand that will allow the screen to be angled down (seems silly, but if you're wanting to tuck a screen out the way, then this matters!!).

The analogue tuner is not great though, so you may need a freeview box too (unlike some of the LG's that have Freeview built in!).

*You can run HDMI to DVI, but the DVI socket is NOT HDCP compatible, unlike the LG's.

11. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry, just realised that I keep recommendending dual-purpose PC screens / TV's 'cos I'm just picturing the setup that some friend have for their kids, but I've noticed that you've not mentioned any PC connectivity required at all.

I still reckon keep that NQ211 in mind as a fall back if the missus kicks the budget (and screen size) right down... £152 + deliver is hard to beat for a 20" LCD that doubles as a 1680x1050 PC screen!!

12. MrLOL

MrLOL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    gets my vote

LG is a big enough brand that you're not going to buy a lemon

but because its LG its not silly expensive either.

13. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    and a year or two ago, LG were doign soem of the best LCD's screens (and software controllers) around.