Do i actually need a new Plasma for HD?

General Panic

Hi Guys

Having just decided to buy a new plasma (prob a Panny PX60) and SKY HD to replace my 3 year old LG 42" plasma it's just occured to me , do i need to buy a new screen to recieve HD tv from Sky?

My current screen has a component connection on the media box which i use just now for a dvd player. Am at work just now so not sure of my screen resolution or even if thats important for HD but it is quite low by new plasma standards.

If i get myself a new Sky HD box and hook up to component will that be enough?
I know with a new screen all my SD tv will be improved but do i need to shell out another £1500 or so to start with to reap the HD quality?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello General Panic

As long as your Display is capable of accepting a YPbPr 'Component' 720p or 1080i signal at 50hz on its Analogue Component inputs you have everything you require to 'receive' the signal from your SKY HD box.

Best regards

Joe

General Panic

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I assume my LG manuel should point out the 720/1080 question , i'll read up when i get home from work.

Does HD "look" a lot better on a higher res screen? It's all well me being able to receive a HiDef picture from the Sky box but if it's not going to display a great picture or vast improvement over what i'm can see right now i might just go for a new screen anyway.

I do know there are no HDMI inputs so i guess thats going to limit any future HD expansion idea's like a X-Box 360 or Hi-Def dvd player when they arrive.

Blimey , i never thought buying a new tele could be so confuseing and stressful :(

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello General Panic

01. Your Display - yes the User Manual ought to tell you what signals it supports on its YPbPr input.

02. HD on a standard resolution Display - I'm sure like the rest of us you can tell when a broadcaster has turned up the wick on its MPEG encoder to save bandwidth!!!

Its not difficult spotting that your watching a better source signal (SD or HD) no matter how many pixels are in your Display.

Given the budget its always nice to be able to afford a higher resolution pixel array but not essential; go view HD on an 852x480 pixel Panasonic array and you'll be mighty impressed.

03. Give it go - for the price of a decent set of 3RCA to 3RCA 'Component' video cables (approx 30.00 GBP) I'd give it a whirl (assuming your Display supports 720 and or 1080i at 50Hz) before I splash out on a new Display.

Best regards

Joe

PS Consider the Fujitsu P42XHA58EB if you do decided to go for a new Display.

PPS Your Dealer ought to make relieving you of lots of your hard earned cash in return for a nice shiny 'HD Ready' display a pleasurable experience :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom