Do high end blu ray players improve projector PQ?

haarp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, all
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to projectors, so please try and excuse my ignorance! I've bought a BenQ W1070 projector, which I've only had for a short time and only tested it very briefly. Currently rearranging my living room to accommodate speakers etc so not had time to really set it up properly. But right from the get go I was amazed, having never seen a projector in a home setting before.
I was using a £50.00 blu ray player to try a DVD and a blu ray just to give it a quick test ( Jackie Brown DVD, The Conjuring blu ray). I want to know if buying a much better blu ray player (been looking at Cambridge Audio and Oppo) will make a really big difference to the PQ, or are these high end blu ray players really just a case of the emperors new clothes? I'd be fascinated to hear from anybody who has made this journey from cheap blu ray to a real high end bit of kit, and what your experience has been.
Cheers, guys!

Last edited:
High end players make no difference to picture or sound quality when it comes to blu rays. None of them actually claim too.

Most output an untampered with digital data stream that is as good as it gets.

There are enhancement gimmicks like darbee, but these are a " to taste" feature that only removes accuracy and thankfully havnt caught on.

Instead you get extra high end features such as SACD and DVD A playback, high quality analog audio outputs, file playback features and networkwork streaming features. These are what you pay for with a high end player.

Hi, Andy1249
Hmm, that's really interesting. I have heard ppl before saying that with digital tech, such as blu ray, HDMI cables etc, it really doesn't make difference to PQ how much you pay because it's digital. That is, just a stream of one's and zero's. I could kind of understand that but I just assumed that high end players did something special to those one's and zero's to make the PQ better.
So in other words, providing I'm happy with my audio, and don't need the extra embellishments you have described, there really is no point in upgrading my cheap blu ray player to anything better?

Not really. Other things you might notice with a more expensive player are better build quality and faster loading times for bluray titles. But it's not going to make any difference to the output.

HDMI cables over a few pounds are a ripoff unless you need shielded ones (still way under £10, about a fiver) or very long length ones.

Hi, Sloppy Bob
Yep, that's another thing I've read about HDMI cables. But what about speaker cables? I've bought 4 x Tannoy Mercury v4i new and have an old Tannoy Mercury centre speaker. I was watching some bloke on YouTube yesterday and he was saying the same sort of thing about speaker cable; basically that expensive cable is a rip off and really won't make much difference. Based on that advice, I bought 20m of cable yesterday which is supposed to be ok for 500w amps (I've bought a Denon AVXR 520BT) for £26.00. Bearing in mind I'm NOT an audiophile, and just want reasonable quality mainly for movies and music only occasionly, should this suffice? Or should I be paying more for speaker cable?

I'm far from an audiophile as well and refuse to spend large money on speaker cable, as long as it's not bell wire anything around ~£1-2 per metre is fine. For very long runs of cable a heavier gauge is preferable and I'm sure audiophiles can pay huge amounts and justify it. It's not quite the same as HDMI as it's not digital but I'm pretty convinced that unless you have some exceptionally high end system it's probably just snake oil as well.

Blu ray and HDMI have gone a long way towards eliminating the third party fraudulent claims of cable sellers and after market mods.

It is a testable and proven fact that it is absolutely impossible for a HDMI cable to " improve" picture or sound quality in any way.

The interface must get data from point A or the source, to point B or the sink wiith less than 1 in 1 billion errors in the data or the interface cuts out with a no signal error.

For 1080p content, thats almost 2 hours of data without a single error, an error being any difference between data at point A vs data at point B.

There is no way a high priced HDMI cable can be any better than a standard one, the spec makes that impossible.
They either work perfectly or fail disastrously.

Likewise with the actual players, the spec is tightly controlled, and a player must get the data to the sink intact, meaning there is very little that can be done to the content in the player other than calibration control.

All players must have settings that enable accurate data flow, and when set up properly , this means no difference between players.

Hi, guys

Thanks for your replies and explanations. You've probably saved me from spending extra cash I don't need to, only to have been disappointed with the results! Not only that, but it's been genuinely interesting to learn exactly why I would have been wasting my money. I now rather think that Sloppy Bob was spot on when he talked about snake oil merchants. A case of buyer beware, I guess...;)
Cheers!

My Panasonic BDT-700 is a great step up from Denon 3313 Blu Ray Player. I wouldn't have expected this to be so, however the picture is clearer/cleaner, via a projector onto a 106" Screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom