1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do headphones like these exist?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by benp44, Jul 7, 2004.

1. benp44

benp44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am looking for a pair of new headphones, and to spend up to £100 (although 50 would be nice!). I am quite interested in Noise reduction because i do travel by plane and train a lot, but i also find that the big, puffy, over-the-ear type of phones are much more comfortable, and also much better for listening when at home. Are there any of this type of headphones that have noise reduction?

Skewing away, i have heard that ear plug such as SHure's are much better at reducting environmental noise than electronic noise reduction techniques, but does this translate to a price diference? Again, comfort is an issue because earplugs for a twelve hour flight could get a bit uncomfy!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Incidentally, i have found that http://uk.pricerunner.com is a great site for headphones and probably other AV stuff. It has so many listed!

2. benp44

benp44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You should also take a look at Etymotic Research's earplug phones....superb quality and fit,very comfortable to wear,and excellent quality.

A few of us here have either tried them or have a set,and the general view seems to be very good...I'm certainly pleased with mine.

4. Jonathan100

Jonathan100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for something simmilar to your requirements and settled with the Sennheiser PXC 250. I am not a fan of in-ear headphones and I wasn't looking for anything really bulky so they suited nicely.

The style is the usual over the head with cups that sit on the ears as oppose to over, they are padded around the outside so as to form a seal around they ear reducing the higher frequency noise. The active noise cancelling is powered by a battery (2 x AAA) box and does a very good job of taking out engine noise.

I use these every day on my daily train commute and they do a good job of cutting down noise. Not everything is cut out but what remains is easily covered by the music. Also being closed back they keep the sound in so as not to disturb my fellow passsengers. Great in cars too, though I have yet to try them out in a plane.

Battery life seems very reasonable, 40h is stated on the box and they seemd to atleast, if not exceed that. A saving also seems to be passed on the the MP3 player's battery life do to the decreased load. The only downside to them is that the active noise cancelling introduces a hiss though this is only noticible in quite areas, so not when you are likely to have it on.

I payed £60 for a new pair of these from an ebay seller

5. benp44

benp44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much guys, lots of good advice here. The battery life of these noise cancelling things is interesting, because as with lots of products this can be overlooked and can be the downfall of a piece of equipment. I'll never forget my first mp3 player which could last about an hour before recharging was neccessary! Now my mp3 lasts 14 hours from a quick slot in a USB port!

Think i shall further investigate the Sennheiser PXC 250, and will have alook at Etymotic also. But any more advice would be welcome!!!