Do HDTv's with built in Freeview have built in upscaling?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by AVofdoom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. AVofdoom

AVofdoom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically which would give better performance, a 23inch 1080 monitor with an external upscaling freeview box or a Samsung 23" 1080 monitor/tv with built in freeview?

2. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can only say from my own experience with a Philips with built in freeview. That it is far superior to my sky picture on an external box.
    My brother has the same tele with a humax freesat box connected and his internal freeview beats it hands down.
    Probably because there are no connecting cables.
    The internal freeview box gives an SD picture quality that good that it can be mistaken for HD.
    I would think that built in has to beat external all things being equal.

3. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Aren't you more comparing Sky to Freeview? I think the OP is looking at two options of Freeview onm big screen

4. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Not just sky. My brother has freesat. Which should be transmitted on higher bandwith.
    BBC1 on his Humax freesat does not match the quality of BBC1 on his built in freeview box.

I admit it is not a comparison between internal and external boxes but I think it makes a point.

Everyone has to draw their own conclusions.
    I was just adding my bit. You do lose signal quality down connecting leads. HDMI is better than Scart. No lead will be better than Hdmi!
    Others will no doubt expand on these views.

5. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    How does "no lead" work?

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    This is a common misconception. *ALL* LCD and Plasma TVs upscale. They must do this, otherwise all you'd see would be a small box somewhere on the screen.

When companies advertise an "upscaling" DVD player or Freeview box, what they're basically doing is selling you a machine that does a better job of the upscaling than your TV likely will.

Back to your original question: there probably won't be a lot of difference. I've not seen any of these upscaling Freeview boxes so I'm not sure how well they do the job.

7. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Search these forums re Upscaling, there is a lot of info out there on this topic. A couple of general comments:

The first thing to note is the Native Resolution of the LCD/plasma panel in tv, i.e. 1080, 720 or whatever. Basically, your TV will always either upscale (or downscale!) to match its native resolution, i.e. it will always play with the picture to make it fit the number of pixels it has. To summarise, your HD telly has an in-built upscaler!

The second thing is the one that causes the biggest debate: whether using an external upscaler makes a difference or not. Technically, some say that all you are doing by using one of those is playing around with the picture even more before it is displayed; therefore as you are processing it even more, it cannot be better. However, some people will swear blind that they improve things...

As usual with these things, "try before you buy" or "buyer beware" :rolleyes:... You may see a difference, but then again you may not.

The old adage of GIGO (garbage in/garbage out) definitely applies to HD tellies (you only have to see the difference between, say ITV news and ITV weather transmissions; or switching from Sky News to Sky Sports News channels - even on Freeview) - so by providing a higher quality signal maybe makes it easier for the internal upscaler to do its stuff, or whatever, I dunno; but it's not a definitive answer.

I hope the above helps - and not confuses further!

8. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    just beat me to it! wish i could be so succinct! :D