Do HDMI splitters work??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Davy Clelland, May 28, 2012.

1. Davy Clelland

Davy Clelland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'd like to supply a secondary tv screen from my Denon AVR-2312 AV receiver, but the amp only has an output for 1 screen.

I saw a simple HDMI 2 way splitter on Ebay for a couple of quid, will this work for my requirements?

Please note: the HDMI cables going to the screens will be quite long, 1x 10m and 1x 5m.

Thanks in advance!

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Active splitters should work fine. I paid about £30 for one from TV cables that was used on the end of an Oppo 3:1 switch and it worked a treat.

However, with HDMI there are no guarantees. 10m shouldn't be a problem though.

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,481
    Any HDMI unit with multiple outputs should not really be called a splitter. Splitter is a carry over from older analog devices and it a very common and bad practice to apply it to HDMI. It implies a simplicity that can never happen with HDMI.

Splitter is really an old analog term for passive devices that split the signal , HDMI cannot be split like that , any HDMI device that supplies two or more screens , needs active electronics.

If such a device does not have its own power , and for a couple of quid thats highly unlikely , then the chances of it working are at best 50/50 , and reduce that by half again if your screens are different native resolutions as that requires some kind of EDID management , which again is highly unlikely for a couple of quid.

HDMI distribution boxes , which is what they should be called , should never steal power from the interface , it may look sort of like a USB connection , but its far from it , and it was never ever designed to power external devices like that.

Any unit you buy should have its own power supply , and 25 quid is the minimum price Ive seen for devices that actually work.

Neet® - 2 Way HDMI SPLITTER BOX 1x2 Port - Active: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    I'd recommend you buy a brand name powered splitter- bought 2 powered Belkin switchers on eBay last year and zero issues so far. Also, for long distance runs I'd also recommend good quality HDMI cable.

5. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I agree with Dubliner1 and Andy, with the distances you need you should get a powered one

6. PsyVision

PsyVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421