Do HDMI splitters work the opposite direction?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tom629, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tom629

tom629
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the primary purpose of an HDMI splitter is two take a source and split it to two different displays, correct? My question is, can this work the other way? Take two sources and output them to one display?

Let me elaborate. My parents have an older 32" 720p Samsung with only 2 HDMI ports. They have a cable box hooked up to 1. And my smart-ass buys them a blu-ray player and a Roku this Christmas. I'm wondering if I can hook up the blu ray player and the roku to the splitter and plug that into the last remaining HDMI port. My hope is that as log as 1 device is on and the other is off, it should work. But I have doubts.

I think what I need is an HDMI switch correct?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,651
    Spltter is usually one input and two outputs.
    They are directional and only work one way.

Switch is many inputs and one or two outputs , again they are directional and only work one way.

There are many to choose from but a key feature is that it needs to have its own 5v power supply.
    If it doesnt have its own power supply, it will be stealing power from the 5v line of your other devices , and wont work with more than 50% of HDMI devices out there.

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Just buy a powered switch, a 5 way unit so youve got a few spare then youll be taking up one hdmi socket on the tv. Leaving you with with 3 spare inputs