1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do HD Ready LCD upscale SD broadcast at the moment?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rookies, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    As subject.

I am trying to figure when does not a HD ready TV show SD broadcast properly or it upscaling?

I would of though it would show SD broadcast as normal and HD take effect when somthing ispluged into it socket?

Sorry to be a noooob

2. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    As far as I'm aware, unless you are sending it the native resolution of the screen in question, then there is always some element of upscaling.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Your LCD only has one resolution.
    HD and SD are both scaled to that.
    When you have an SD broadcast, it will still use the same LCD resolution as an HD broadcast.
    However, the SD source itself is lower resolution so it will not look so detailed when you look closely.

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Ah I think i now am with it i think ha ha

5. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    If there were no upscaling on a HD lcd panel, then the 576 visible lines of a typical PAL signal would be in the middle of the screen with a black (grey.. :) ) border around it.

Ironically on most 26" and 32" LCD panels there are 768 lines, and the typical HD signal of 720 lines has to be scaled to cover the 768 lines. This scaling process causes problems, I would prefer a native 720 line panel, but you generally cannot get them. One compromise are 1280x768 15:9 screens, which allow PC resolutions with 768 lines, but display 720x1280 at 16:9. Some LCD TV will allow the black surrounding bars for PC resolutions (prefered), such as LG (DVI,HDMI(PC-mode), or VGA), Samsung (VGA) and Philips (VGA) but most upscale to the screens native resolution.

With 1080i material and 1080 lines displays, there will still be this compromise of scaling for SD and 720 lined material, but at least the 1080 material can be displayed natively (albeit with overscan, I thought the products I designed were needlessly complicated, HD TV are a minefield of overlapping requirements and compromises).

And finally there are framerates films have 24fps, HD has ......720 lines at 50/60fps, 1080 half interlaced frames at 25/30fps, possible 1080 full frames at 24/50/60fps. And LCD's will not display all of these, and BlueRay / HD-DVD have not decided which to use either........as I said a minefield.

All you can do now is to look at what you want to watch, HTPC, DVD Player, XBox360, HD Satellite, SkyHD etc, and then choose the most approprite screen. The best decision may be to wait until 2006, there will be far greater choice, and SkyHD prices will be known.

I doubt if I have helped, but knowledge is power apparantely..............btw I have lots of facts, but little understanding :D .

6. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    As an IT bod I can't help but be amazed at the number of people who run 1280x1024 panels at 1024x768! Blurry is the best way to describe the result, you are definitely better off with a CRT if you want that sort of flexibility with resolution.

SD shown on an HD panel is the same sort of thing but, due to the nature of TV pictures being more like photographs and less like diagrams, you don't notice the effect so much but it's still there. I have often wondered if there are 1366x768 TVs that will allow you to 'underscan' a 720p signal so that you get a black border all round for the benefit of a crisp 1:1 pixel match - the only one I've heard of is a Loewe, and we're talking phone numbers... :thumbsdow

At the end of the day it's what you're happy with and I must admit that I certainly can't see a lot wrong with the LG HD demos they're showing in *cringe* Currys (sorry) at the moment, they're gobsmacking even if they are upscaled to 768 lines - so perhaps it doesn't matter so much as I think :confused:

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Very interesting,

Thankyou for the very understanding information you have all provide