Do HD discs have standard DVD playback as well?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crown62, Aug 19, 2006.

1. crown62

crown62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can someone tell me if HD discs also have a regular DVD copy of the film encoded on the disc as well?
    If I start to buy a movie on the new HD disc format , it would also be nice to know it can replay in standard DVD quality on my standard DVD players as well as on a HD player? Thanks for any answers:)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    As a general rule no. BluRay discs do not have a normal version. HD DVDs don't either unless they are labelled as "Combi" discs - these are double sided discs with a HD DVD on one side and DVD on the other. Examples are:
    - 16 Blocks
    - Firewall
    - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    ...notice how the covers are labelled "HD DVD and DVD Combi format" - that's what you need to look out for. Obviously all the DVDs are Region 1 but the HD DVD side is region free. Most of the combi releases are the new release films though (as opposed to back catalogue) so if you looking to make the 'switch' to high def disc buying without actually buying a player yet then this is a decent way of doing it.

Have to admit I was against combi discs at first - I thought it would reduce the quality of both the HD DVD side and DVD side. But this doesn't seem to have happened - the HD DVDs seem as good as any 'HD DVD only' disc and it is quite useful having a DVD version (for upstairs DVD players etc).