Do HD boxes only show in widescreen format??

philip birdi

Novice Member
because thats what mine shows in i try changing the format on the HD box menu to 4.3 but it makes no difference is this the same with everyone else?also when i view some different channels the picture shows in a square with big black borders on each side of the screen why is it like this??i have the sony bravia 40" v series lcd.thanks.

Ultra2man

You have your Sky box set to output 1080i.
Go into the services menu and then to picture settings. Here you will find an option to set the box to auto. Follow the onscreen instuctions exactly when you do this.
Unfortunately most screens do not allow you to change the pic size settings when the box is set to 1080i and yours seems to be one of them.

neilmcl

philip birdi said:
because thats what mine shows in i try changing the format on the HD box menu to 4.3 but it makes no difference is this the same with everyone else?also when i view some different channels the picture shows in a square with big black borders on each side of the screen why is it like this??i have the sony bravia 40" v series lcd.thanks.
If your box is outputting 720p or 1080 then yes, by definition a HD video signal (1280x720 or 1920x1080) is a widescreen format signal.

philip birdi

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom