1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do good leads make a difference

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by boogi11, Aug 17, 2005.

1. boogi11

boogi11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, i have just spent a lot of money on a 32" sony tft, my question is this.

do good scart leads make a difference that is noticeable or do you have to be a real tv buff to notice, if the answer is yes, then can anybody recomend a good scart for decoder to tft, my reason for asking is that i have just been watching the bill, and how clean is your house and the picture seems a little harsh, such as a guy was wearing a pinstripe suit, and it seemed to struggle with the grey stripes.

any thoughts

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Make sure you're using Scart in RGB mode on all your kit. It's miles better than Scart composite or SVcbs or whatever they call it.

I personally wouldn't pay more than £20 for a scart lead and yes, you need to be a buff to notice a difference. Some people think the more you pay, the better it is, whereas I think the more you pay, the more you're being ripped off. Apart from real cheapy jobs, obviously.

But I'm sure some people will disagree.

It's just my opinion :smashin:

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    here, here badger, I buy my cables from maplins and pay no more than £15-£20.When I bought my 42'' plasma I thought I might have to spend more on cables because the size of the screen might accentuate any noise from my cables but they look brilliant.

It's the same with speaker cable, I personally can't tell the difference between cheap/expensive cable.

4. shyewei

shyewei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Highly recommend Thor cables.

Yes they do make a difference IMHO to the PQ, but within reason. I guess it's a law of diminshing returns, you may see an improvement but whether or not it's worth the extra outlay and it depends on how fussy you are :D

Maplins are curretnly having a clearance on all their Thor cables so you should be able to pick up bargain. Alternatively play.com sell 1.5m Thor Scart-Scart RGB leads for £17.99 the RRP is about £30!!!! As mentioned in the previous post wouldn't spend a ridciulous amount on cables, but probably more than £20 and make sure that you are getting an RGB signal.

Hope this helps,
    Shye

5. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Don't start me on speaker cable.

All this OFC etc makes me laugh.

"Skin effect" sums it up, so bigger the better is all that matters,if at all, IMO.

But going back to shyewei's post, yes it's negatively exponential.

Does twice the price make it twice as good?

No way, maybe a 5% increase, if that.

An adequately shielded cable is good enough, regardless of how many layers it's got.
    If it shields from RFI or mains with 1 layer, adding 2,3 or 4 won't make a jot of difference, regardless of the b******s you're told.

Having said that, I can see that maintaining a 75 ohm connection, including connector plugs, for Video, is important and may be worth paying extra for :smashin:

7. matelot

matelot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i dont know what you're talking about, i think its perfectly reasonable to pay £500 for a power cable to get the cleanest signal.

wahahhahaha....theres some suckers out there!!

and trust me, you can actually buy a power cable for £500.

like the rest of the guys said, get good shielded cable and you'll be fine, anything more poncey is for the jones and the people that like to beat 'em

8. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    quote: 'and trust me, you can actually buy a power cable for £500.'

He He And you can just imagine the buyer of said power cable vehemently praising the advantages of it on the forums, desperately trying to justify his outlay.

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like a waste of money to go ott on cables, i use electrical flex as speaker cable on 2k speakers :)

Korum , just to balance value for money out, i heard a young chap saying in an av store 2.5 k for a "telly" what f nutter would buy that...........

10. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    quote: 'Korum , just to balance value for money out, i heard a young chap saying in an av store 2.5 k for a "telly" what f nutter would buy that...........'

I bet he went back a couple of days later and bought it :) :)

I've also used twisted pair electrical flex on speakers (I even nicked it from work !!) and it sounded great.

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Trouble is, I know where the kid is coming from :(

I guess if you haven't got any money, it's a stupid amount.

Still happy with my H 7200 though :thumbsup

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    boogi11

If your Source device and TV are both equipped with RGB compatible SCART sockets there are two 'types' of SCART cable for you to consider.

Fully wired SCART cables (no matter the price) have all manner of In/Out signal options and within an outer protective jacket; you can have up to 21 individually screened conductors only 4 of which are relevant if your sending an RGB Video signal between the source and the Display.

RGB Only SCART cables use the same thickness of outer jacket but this time they only have 4 screened inner conductors; therefore the conductors can and are much thicker - which is a positive in terms of transferring a video signal.

I'd suggest you try out three cables in your system - an unbranded Fully Wired, a 'Premium' Fully Wired and an RGB Only cable; I don't believe you have to have golden eyes to spot if one cable is causing less signal degradation than the others.

Best regards

Joe

13. zuiko

zuiko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what you're trying to ask is not whether GOOD leads make a difference because good leads do make a difference.

You're asking whether EXPENSIVE leads make a difference and that's where it's murky because not all expensive leads are necessarily good.

As an example I had a choice of two equal length DVI cables. One was priced at $75 retail and the other was $52. Which to choose?

Eyeballing them the $52 cable was thicker and had 'uni-directional' writing down the side and looked the part. The $75 cable was thinner and had a gloss unmarked appearance.

I asked the sales drone for the best prices - the $75 cable he could do for $35!! and the $52 cable to only $45. Obviously the expensive cable had plenty of margin and my observation regarding the relative quality of each cable was correct.

Expensive cable is not always the better cable is the answer. Good cable does make difference.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And thick cable is not necessarily good... I'm sceptical about cables with directional arrows, I've had it explained to me, perhaps I'm too thick. Except scart of course, which might well be directional for connection reasons! No, as has come out of the discussion so far, there is a logarithmic type curve, like all things AV of price against performance. A £20 scart is 10x as good as a £2 scart from the guy in the corner shop, but a £200 scart is maybe 10% better than the £20 one. Maybe if you are they guy who must have everything there is some benefit to very expensive leads, or should we say very good leads, but it's marginal. And I'm still convinced electrons don't know left from right.

15. Matt.Wild

Matt.Wild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes it does within reason. I have an £40 IXOS scart lead that I connect to my DVD player and a freebie cable for the sky box. Recently I moved the IXOS into the Sky box thinking that the reason why Sky looked poo was because of the box. I was completely wrong. With the IXOS cable the picture is much sharper, there is lessy fuzz on bright colours (this is on a cheap Sanyo 28” TV) and Sky looks 100% better. Expand this to a larger sharper screen and I can see it making an even great improvement.

I’d spend £40 on some decent-ish lead and be happy with that. IMO, I would budget 10-15% of the TV’s cost for the leads. Same with audio systems :thumbs:

(NB – I wouldn’t go stupid mind as someone has said before it’s a case of diminishing returns. After all, the picture and connection on the TV are as only as good as they are!)

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And I'm sure Sky gold plate the connections in their scart socket!

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing leads...Ive found some gr8 leads in the £40 to £50 bracket but also some real gems for under £4 like the gold plated Scart I bought in Asda

18. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an engineer and I do think that well constructed video cables can make a difference, you are transmitting high frequencies and don't want crosstalk, distortion or interference.

Speaker leads on the other hand have been repeatedly proven to be superstition in many blind tests. The best thing you can do for improving the speaker connection is use good banana plugs. I love statements like "The BlahBlah leads resulted in an airy quality or somesuch other well known electrical or physical parameter... :thumbsdow

If it can't be measured and quantified then it's magic...which is science we don't understand anyway according to the late Robert Heinlein. :clap:

19. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been known occasionally to proselytise the benefits of decent cables but do also appreciate that there is a law of massively diminshing returns. Ultimately the best judge must be your eyes and ears. If you can hear or see the difference and can afford the asking price, then it's worth it. And that goes for all AV equipment, no less so with cables. I also think that Analogue interconnects are potentially the most "upgradeable" - I use an inconsistent selection from about £25 per pair on some sources upto the heady heights of Nordost Red Dawn on others. The Nordosts definitely sound better than the cheaper versions, but 12 times better ? Dont be ridiculous. Maybe 5-10% better - the actual figure is impossible to quantify but you CAN hear the difference. Its not a question of deluding yourself into hearing the difference because youve shelled out a load of cash. Almost every cable manufacturer produces cables that sell for big bucks and a good dealer will happily demonstrate the differences. Companies like Van Den Hul produce cable packs to allow customers to try a range in the comfort of their own homes and then make an objective decision.
    I do get worried when Reviewers make grandiose claims that an interconnect is the equivalent of a major equipment upgrade. I seem to recall Hifi Expert and all-round-nice guy Alvin Gold, making such a comment about the £1000+ Nordost Valhalla interconnect. Id love to put it to the test.

Now - mains cables and mains filtration..............Im not so sure

20. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    well that must be a poor quality mains cable.
    I use the one below on all my av stuff, the difference is magical

Pulled from a website

I know someone will find better

21. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    £2250 here :rolleyes:
    Dave.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We make up cables on site frequently, nobody ever complains, component video looks fine. I've got some here, I ought to compare them to a QED Qunex lead, perhaps in front of witnesses.

23. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'd be interested in the result of that test MAW :smashin:

24. boogi11

boogi11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i started this thread, so ill tell you what i think of the whole situation,
    my tv just cost me £1200 sony 32" lcd l32m1 i think, i have sky and a home cinema system as well as ps2, i just bought £15 worth of ps2 componenet leads, and there is no difference in quality to the scart i was using)still blurry on fifa), i have s video to scart cable for home cinema, picture is perfect cant fault it at all. finally we get to sky. i spent 25 on a monster 1 meter cable, and i cant tell the difference between that and the one i was using, but i dont think it really matters, i am happy that i am using good quality leads to link all 4 of my componenets for under £50./ what i ahve noticed is the vast differencve in quality of programmed broadcast, some are appauling while some are nearly at crt stand

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Was your PS2 RGB before, or just that skinny composite and stereo lead that comes with it?

26. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Complete and utter rubbish
    My £2.50 SCART works just as well as a £200 SCART. Its a bit of multistrand cable running inside a screened sheath, cross-talk is irrelavent if you only have one RGB signal running in one direction. Screening is irrelavent unless you insist on tie wrapping multiple cables together.

Viewers can only tell the difference between cables if they are told the cost of each cable first (assuming none of the cables are faulty)

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well PJ, we'll have to agree to differ there, I am certain I could demonstrate the difference. I don't think I could do the same going from £20 to £200.

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    pjclark1

I think you should purchase loads of those £2.50 cables, rebox them and flog them for £200.00; it sounds like your on a winner :devil:

I'm not sure what size of screen your working with but I find on a 42" Display (or larger) or with a projector its pretty straightforward to 'see' how some SCART cables do a better job than others at passing an RGB signal.

No cable can improve upon the source signal but plenty of them can certainly get in the way.

Best regards

Joe

29. Baggaa

Baggaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Panasonic 42 plasma, 42PV500, and pontificated about getting anything other than the standard cables. In the end after reading many many threads I did do for a load of IXOS scart cables, plus a S-video to SCART cable. I however must admit I am still really unable to tell the difference between a standard cable and the high end.
    In the end if you are still interested in getting these cables, the best place that I found for IXOS cables was www.fillyourboots.com. I found them on ebay and found Andy very helpful and their service was excellent.