1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Freeview PVR's have inputs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jethro10, Sep 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I have been researching but cannot identify for sure if these HDD based machines have inputs so I can record to the Disk from an external source, ie a Sky Sat receiver ?
    Do any of the brands allow this ?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Nope.
    All the DTT hard drive based STB's only record from their internal digital tuners.
    TIVO is the only practical option if you want to record from mulitpule sources (with full tv listings etc) although DVD/HD recorders are also an option.

3. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh well, a shame.
    I wonder if Freeview PVR's are subsidised ? because with an input they would be cheap 'open' recorders.
    A Home Tteater PC is not much dearer than some HD Recorders......

Thanks
    Jeff

4. mjr

mjr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just makes economic sense for the PVRs to be built this way. They only need to capture the broadcast stream and save it to disk, which keeps things at broadcast quality, so there's no need to include the hardware/software capable of encoding an external source.

Some of the DVD recorders that also have hard disks might do what you need though.