Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference? - article discussion

HEC was a 'nice' idea up until you thought about the amount of Support Calls which adding a network layer to your AVR or TV was going to generate.

Joe

Certification is a very expensive process which also includes the production line which produces the cables so many low cost brands will not go down the 'certification' road and instead simply 'bench test' sample cables and claim they meet spec.

Additionally very few of the 'brands' you see actually manufacture cables and instead purchase cables from one of the many manufacturers in china - and of course they are not too keen to let you know who actually produces cables for them so even if the factory has had a particular cable design 'certified' by HDMI.org some brands will avoid having to ever publish the Certificate as that will trace the cable back to who manufacturers it.

Joe

Have found some from a company called IBRA. They will do me a 4K/60Hz at £12.59 whereas appears I can get same cable but 4K/120HZz on Amazon, from IBRA store, for £10.99

Like many they are playing the game of bamboozling folk with word salad in the name and description - no sign of any of the cables being HDMI.org certified, which does not mean the cable will not work for you just be aware you have no idea what you are purchasing other than a generic HDMI cable with lots of marketing.

Joe

Bit of a minefield then. Pot luck in some respects. So I may as well just buy a £5 quid cable if it states is capable of 4K/60Hz and if it proves poor send it back.

Trawling through the HDMI cables on Amazon still waiting for one to say is certified as high or premium. All sprouting capable of this or that but not proving it. Not seen any yet in the packaging they come in to prove the certification.
Cables labeled as Premium High Speed HDMI cables (HDMI 2.0 options) should come with a QR label on the packaging so that you can scan it to show its authenticity. They are passive and available in lengths up to 25'. Anything longer than that, or an active cable will not, and can not be, certified by HDMI.org. For the HDMI 2.1 options, Ultra High Speed HDMI will be the trademarked label and they too should come with a QR to prove its authenticity. Passive only and in lengths up to 9', possibly 15'.

Any cable mfr can submit their cables to an ATC (Authorized Testing Center) for certification if they pay the fee and meet the requirements so the cables are not limited to particular mfr. Amazon resells cables from lots of vendors so they do not verify the seller's product descriptions or claims. I usually purchase my cables directly from the mfr instead of Amazon.

It's not like you can't find certified cables on Amazon though...
All you have to do is type "certified premium HDMI" and be open to spending somewhere between £5 and £15...

It's not like you can't find certified cables on Amazon though...
All you have to do is type "certified premium HDMI" and be open to spending somewhere between £5 and £15...
Yep. If the cable is marketed as "Premium High Speed HDMI", with ethernet, and comes with the QR label that's all one needs to know. Prices vary due to length and are competitive.

Have done that and for example first one that pops up is

Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable 3ft £3.69
Now the price shown rings bells to my mind. There is no mention of this manufacturer or affiliate on the hdmi.org website so how do I know what I am getting.

Each cable length has been individually tested and certified to deliver the full 18Gbps.

Certified by whom?

Now the price shown rings bells to my mind. There is no mention of this manufacturer or affiliate on the hdmi.org website so how do I know what I am getting.

Each cable length has been individually tested and certified to deliver the full 18Gbps.

Certified by whom?
It's about as difficult as you want to make it...

There is a whole process for the HDMI premium cable certification.
Participants in the Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program are HDMI Adopters who have signed up and qualified for the program. These Participants may be represented as brand names in the marketplace or supply manufacturers who go to market with their own brand names. When labels are scanned the results will display the in-the-market brand name that should appear on the package. Please check our list of current Participants
Cable samples are tested at Authorised Testing Centres.
See attached for an app scan of a label from a 2pack of 6ft Monoprice cables. These are not expensive cables.

2adcdaa3-914c-4cd4-b137-c15a15e3e335.jpeg

Certified by whom?
HDMI.org has designed and maintains a certification program thru various entities worldwide. They are called ATC's (Authorized Testing Centers) and follow standardized testing protocols so no matter which entity certifies the cable, they all follow the same procedures and instrumentation. And once passed, they affix the QR label. It doesn't make a difference which ATC is used. Other cable mfrs may have their own ih-house certification program or send representative samples of their cables to another agency. Certification is not a 100% guarantee that the cable in question will work with all setups and cable installations, its just a guarantee that the cable was tested and validated by an HDMI.org designed standardized testing platform. There is more to a successful cable installation that just the data pipe (cable).

HDMI.org - as above look for the official Certification labs ks.

Monoprice - are a massive US based ‘Brand’ turning over $200m+ in the US accessories market with a small footprint in the UK/EU.

You can purchase 1000+ pieces of High Speed certified 2m cables from any number of manufacturers for around 50 cents a cable - adding your own brand, labels, packaging, shipping, local marketing, TAX, selling fees etc is where the real cost lies.

Joe

Veritable minefield like I said. At least on the Monoprice website you do get a photo of the QR code etc.
Their prices look very reasonable so will give them a go.

Last edited:
Veritable minefield like I said. At least on the Monoprice website you do get a photo of the QR code etc.

I use Monoprice for all of my HDMI, I use their fibre for the PJ run, well priced and well made, no issues so far. :smashin:

Good nice to see items recommended by actual users. Just ordered a pair and a set of earphones. Good prices and no postage charge not sure how they do it.,

Last edited:
I've been using Kenable cables. These 1.8M, to connect boxes to AVR, are certified:
And their Active Optical 10m cable to projector:
kenable Long HDMI Active Optical Cable AOC HDR 18Gbps 4K 60Hz 2160P...
All pretty reasonably priced and seem to work well.

I bought some monoprice hdmi certified premium high speed cable and they work fine. Although the 5m is a fat, stiff one and doesn't like tight bends.

I've been using Kenable cables. These 1.8M, to connect boxes to AVR, are certified:
And their Active Optical 10m cable to projector:
kenable Long HDMI Active Optical Cable AOC HDR 18Gbps 4K 60Hz 2160P...
All pretty reasonably priced and seem to work well.
Those are certified for the HDMI 2.0 options and may work for some of the HDMI 2.1 options (certainly not the options that require 48Gbps), especially at that length. Hybrid fiber cables, due to their design as an active cable can not be certified and any active cable longer than about 10m-15m may have issues with HDMI 2.0.

I bought some monoprice hdmi certified premium high speed cable and they work fine. Although the 5m is a fat, stiff one and doesn't like tight bends.
Be mindful of the stiffness because you don't want to adversely affect the bend radius and you definitely don't want to put any strain on the HDMI ports because that will cause issues down the road.

i have monoprice premium high speed (HDMI 2.0) certified cables (the slimeline ones), and they work fine. they also have HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cables, but they are not certified, and i have to see any 48Gbps certified cables anywhere.

i have monoprice premium high speed (HDMI 2.0) certified cables (the slimeline ones), and they work fine. they also have HDMI 2.1 48Gbps cables, but they are not certified, and i have to see any 48Gbps certified cables anywhere.
The only certified UHS cables you will eventually be able to find will be passive and up to a maximum length of 15' (3m). Zeskit is offering UHS cables now but they won't have the QR label until about mid to late November. If you need cables longer than 15' (3m) you won't find any certified UHS cables of any kind, passive or active, probably never.

Indeed, given I am expecting to have a next gen console with a CX and an Atmos soundbar I am going to go with the Monoprice 48Gbps non-certified cables. I think they are clearly reputable and there are very few certified 48Gbps available - I trust that they believe the quality is on par with their certified cables but they just haven't been able to get the 48Gbps certification yet.

well monprice don't actually make the cables, they simply put their badge on them after someone else has made them - so i'm not sure i would say "clearly reputable".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom