Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference? - article discussion

I agree with Joe. There is no indication that cable has gone thru the certification process (that is still a work in progress) so it's doubtful. Belkin has done this before with questionable "HDMI 2.1" cables. Notice that the cable is "coming soon" to Belkin so I'd wait until the actual cable is ready to ship and then see if the cable specs indicate passing CTS testing with the connectors and cable body. The cable is only in 1 foot or 6 foot lengths so it is at least within the 1m - 3m cable length specified in the HDMI 2.1 specifications. However, it also says supports speeds "up to" 48Gbps so that could mean just about anything.

I agree with Joe. There is no indication that cable has gone thru the certification process (that is still a work in progress) so it's doubtful. Belkin has done this before with questionable "HDMI 2.1" cables. Notice that the cable is "coming soon" to Belkin so I'd wait until the actual cable is ready to ship and then see if the cable specs indicate passing CTS testing with the connectors and cable body. The cable is only in 1 foot or 6 foot lengths so it is at least within the 1m - 3m cable length specified in the HDMI 2.1 specifications. However, it also says supports speeds "up to" 48Gbps so that could mean just about anything.

They have done what before with questionable HDMI 2.1 cables?

They are available to purchase just not through the Belkin online store (amazon has them)
Couldn't they just be compliant without certification? Would need an HDMI 2.1 graphics card to test that I suppose (hurry up Nvidia)

Don't really see the point you are making with "up to"

Belkin came out with an HDMI 2.1 cable a year or two ago making all kinds of claims, but this was before the final specs of HDMI 2.1 were even ratified which made their claims questionable. The cable you linked to may in fact be a good cable, and it probably is, but as to being able to handle all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets has not been proven. The only thing it has going for it is the cable length. If the cable connectors passed CTS then yes, they technically could be called UHS cables but one would think that little data point would be part of their marketing to validate their claims. Maybe they will publish that data but until then I want to see proof, not market-speak.

"Up to" means just that. Up to what? 20Gbps? 30Gpbs? Were they able to test error-free data transmission at the full 48Gbps? There isn't any source material that is available that requires the 48Gbps bandwidth. Pattern generators are one thing but actual consumer devices are an entirely different matter, and there aren't any, yet, that have been validated for all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets. Besides, until you upgrade your other HDMI connected devices to the same version of HDMI 2.1 chipsets having a graphics card that is validated for HDMI 2.1 means little unless you have a display device that is validated for the same HDMI 2.1 option sets, and is 12-bit.

Note the cable is called ‘Ultra HD High Speed HDMI® Cable (2018)’ the inclusion of ‘HD’ is crucial in ensuring they are not falling foul of HDMI.org licensing.

You cannot ‘claim’ compliance without full certification - certification is not just testing a couple of cables it includes testing the whole production chain and is a hugely expensive undertaking.

The cable you link to shows no claim for any official HDMI.org verification.

Joe

Verification implies capability but capability doesn't imply verification.

Are there any UHS HDMI cables available that are available and have the HDMI.org seal of approval?

Verification implies capability but capability doesn't imply verification.

Are there any UHS HDMI cables available that are available and have the HDMI.org seal of approval?
No. There are cables that have connectors that have passed CTS for HDMI 2.1 but as to the entire product, not yet. Besides, there's no real need for the HDMI 2.1 certified cables yet anyway because there isn't any source material encoded for the full option sets nor consumer devices to support it.

Like Otto I haven’t seen any Ultra High Speed Certified cables as yet - before Covid-19 happened the expectation was June 2020 for the first release of cables.

Engineers like Jeff Boccaccio (DPL Labs) are highlighting that many cable assemblies which passed High Speed and Premium High Speed certification will not pass Ultra High Speed.

Whatever you instal now ensure you can easily replace it in the future.

Joe

After all these years I still see post to this day with people talking about how much sharper the image and how much brighter the colors are with their new HDMI cable. Monoprice has a 48gbps fiber optic cable but I'm sure it's not certified. I'd really like to get something to swap out my old 25-ft thick non-active cables so I can do full 4K without dropouts but I don't want to get something that's not full 48gbps. It's only the 4K signal enhanced setting of the Denon X6500H AVR that causes a problem.

HDMI.org don’t have a Certification programme which allows for any form of ‘active’ cable so no ‘Fiber’ cable is going to carry the official Certification.

Our experience has been Hybrid Fibre is more reliable and system friendly than the ‘all Fibre’ solutions and will cater for all current signal formats.

RuiPro4K cables would be my first choice.

Joe

After all these years I still see post to this day with people talking about how much sharper the image and how much brighter the colors are with their new HDMI cable. Monoprice has a 48gbps fiber optic cable but I'm sure it's not certified. I'd really like to get something to swap out my old 25-ft thick non-active cables so I can do full 4K without dropouts but I don't want to get something that's not full 48gbps. It's only the 4K signal enhanced setting of the Denon X6500H AVR that causes a problem.
The cable cannot alter or modify the pq in anyway. It's just the data pipe. If you don't get sparkles, drop outs, etc then you are getting all that the source can send to the sink. Anything else is pure marketing. 48Gbps means nothing because there are no sources, yet, that requires that bandwidth. All consumer devices are still standardized around HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps). It's the HDMI chipsets in the source and sink end that determines what is sent and received. As Joe stated, there are no certification programs because HDMI.org does not allow for certification of active cables, be they copper only, fiber, or hybrid fiber. Until source material is encoded for the HDMI 2.1 options sets, and you have a 12-bit television then the 48Gbps bandwidth is really meaningless. Depending on your cable length, just get either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) or a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k and be done with it. As long as you have easy access to your cabling then upgrading when the time comes will be easier and safer. If you're concerned about "future proofing", the ONLY way to achieve that is to use conduit for in-wall installations or make sure you have easy access as I mentioned. I have no problem doing 4k HDR with the existing cables that I have, which are not "48Gbps". Certification for passive cables is available up to 25'. Over 25', just get the active Ruipro4k cable as Joe mentioned.

Note the cable is called ‘Ultra HD High Speed HDMI® Cable (2018)’ the inclusion of ‘HD’ is crucial in ensuring they are not falling foul of HDMI.org licensing.

You cannot ‘claim’ compliance without full certification - certification is not just testing a couple of cables it includes testing the whole production chain and is a hugely expensive undertaking.

The cable you link to shows no claim for any official HDMI.org verification.

Joe
Hi Joe, thank you for helping the community. I'm looking for minimum 8 feet HDMI cable. I don't play games. I primarily watch Netflix and Prime movies and series. I have a Sony X900H which should support hdmi 2.1 after a winter 2020 firmware update. I also have JBL 9.1 soundbar that supports hdmi 2.1 and Dolby atmos. Please let me know your thoughts, comments on these two products

Zeskit 10 ft
Amazon product ASIN B07S196T4Z
Monoprice 8 ft

Hi Joe, thank you for helping the community. I'm looking for minimum 8 feet HDMI cable. I don't play games. I primarily watch Netflix and Prime movies and series. I have a Sony X900H which should support hdmi 2.1 after a winter 2020 firmware update. I also have JBL 9.1 soundbar that supports hdmi 2.1 and Dolby atmos. Please let me know your thoughts, comments on these two products

Zeskit 10 ft
Amazon product ASIN B07S196T4Z
Monoprice 8 ft

You don't needa 48Gbps cable unless connecting an HDMI version 2.1 source to the TV and eeven then, this would only be required if wanting to convey 4K/120p video from that source to your particulat TV.. Yoo do not appear to have any sources that need such a cable and if not interested in gaming then you are unlikely to have such a source anytime in the foreseeable future.

Just use conventional HIGH SPEED HDMI cables.

It is doubtfull that your JBL soundbar will include anything more than HDMI version 2,0b. Even if utilising eARC from the TV to the soundbar, you'd only need an 18Gbps HIGH SPEED HDMI cable that it ethernet channel compliant.

I agree with @dante01 . HDMI 2.1 will do nothing for you as far as streaming goes. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable with ethernet and the QR label for authenticity will work just fine. The cable is just a data pipe. It can not improve pq so purchasing an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable for your use is an overkill and unnecessary expense.

The cable cannot alter or modify the pq in anyway. It's just the data pipe. If you don't get sparkles, drop outs, etc then you are getting all that the source can send to the sink. Anything else is pure marketing. 48Gbps means nothing because there are no sources, yet, that requires that bandwidth. All consumer devices are still standardized around HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps). It's the HDMI chipsets in the source and sink end that determines what is sent and received. As Joe stated, there are no certification programs because HDMI.org does not allow for certification of active cables, be they copper only, fiber, or hybrid fiber. Until source material is encoded for the HDMI 2.1 options sets, and you have a 12-bit television then the 48Gbps bandwidth is really meaningless. Depending on your cable length, just get either a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) or a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k and be done with it. As long as you have easy access to your cabling then upgrading when the time comes will be easier and safer. If you're concerned about "future proofing", the ONLY way to achieve that is to use conduit for in-wall installations or make sure you have easy access as I mentioned. I have no problem doing 4k HDR with the existing cables that I have, which are not "48Gbps". Certification for passive cables is available up to 25'. Over 25', just get the active Ruipro4k cable as Joe mentioned.

Yes, but and...

"The cable cannot alter or modify the pq in anyway."
Word. Well if it's on the ragged edge the PQ can have issues but not in the analog way of colors and sharpness. I had a 20 minute talk with a guy at work and he just kept saying the new HDMI cable made the colors and stuff better.

"48Gbps means nothing because there are no sources, yet,"
Not to me as I want to use the full 48Gbps (ok 40Gbps for a the 10-bit LG77C9) and don't want to buy and install cables again. As soon as (a few weeks maybe) I get a new Video card I'll want to run 4k-120Hrz-HDR-4:4:4.

"If you're concerned about "future proofing", the ONLY way to achieve that is to use conduit for in-wall installations"
You will always want access but how often. Even if access is easy I don't want to buy new cables every 6 months.

My Monoprice 25ft may still work but I don't think it will. I don't know if 25ft Certification happen if they can't be active. I'd rather they not be as I don't want the active part to die on me a year or two or find that they don't really give you full HDMI 2.1 support, will eARC work and will it add any delay, will the PC or AVR not like it in some way and so on.

Last edited:
Yes, but and...

"The cable cannot alter or modify the pq in anyway."
Word. Well if it's on the ragged edge the PQ can have issues but not in the analog way of colors and sharpness. I had a 20 minute talk with a guy at work and he just kept saying the new HDMI cable made the colors and stuff better.

Not to me as I want to use the full 48Gbps (ok 40Gbps for a the 10-bit LG77C9) and don't want to buy and install cables again. As soon as (a few weeks maybe) I get a new Video card I'll want to run 4k-120Hrz-HDR-4:4:4.

"If you're concerned about "future proofing", the ONLY way to achieve that is to use conduit for in-wall installations"
You will always want access but how often. Even if access is easy I don't want to buy new cables every 6 months.

My Monoprice 25ft may still work but I don't think it will. I don't know if 25ft Certification happen if they can't be active. I'd rather they not be as I don't want the active part to die on me a year or two or find that they don't really give you full HDMI 2.1 support, will eARC work and will it add any delay, will the PC or AVR not like it in some way and so on.

The guy at work has a vivid imagination (to put it politely). The latest cables simply include 2 additional wires which allow the cable to convey a wider bandwidth 48Gbps video signal. The 2 additional wires will only be utilised by hardware that is inclusive of HDMI version 2.1 and will not be employed by devices with a lower version of HDMI. You'd be restricted to just 18Gbps if using devices equipped with HDMI 2.0b irrespective of the cable you use. A cable catagorised as being HIGH SPEED will happily convey 18Gbps and that is all that would be required to convey 4K 60Hz HDR encoded video. HIGH SPEED and PREMIUM 18Gbs cables have 3 pairs of wires to convey the video signal while the 48Gig cables include 4 pairs of wires. Anything below HDMI version 2.1 cannot utilise those additional wires.

Do you have or do you intend using a source that is actually equipped with HDMI version 2.1? If so then yes, use a 48Gbps cable between that source and an HDMI version 2.1 equipped display. There's no benefit associated with using 48Gbps cables with devices that are not equipped with HDMI version 2.1.

Last edited:

I know but some folks just will not let go of crazy stuff sometimes. Especially when they are or think they are in some way invested. Like he didn't want to admit his new expensive cable didn't do anything that the old one didn't or someone spent a bunch of time and money going nuts on anti-vaxing and they don't want to hear anything about how it's just wrong and cling to that one or two crazy long since debunked doctors that said they had evidence of something nefarious. It's good to be critical and check stuff out and ask questions but sometimes there's just that unrelenting pressure of finding what you're looking for or not want ting admit you spoke before doing some or any research.

The guy at work has a vivid imagination (to put it politely). The latest cables simply include 2 additional wires which allow the cable to convey a wider bandwidth 48Gbps video signal. THe 2 additional wires will only be utilised by hardware that is inclusive of HDMI version 2.1 or gtraeter and will not be employed by devices with a lower version of HDMI. You'd be restricted to just 18Gbps if using devices equipped with HDMI 2.0b irrespective of the cable you use. An cable catagorised as being HIGH SPEED will happily convey 18Gbps and that is all that would be required to convey 4K 60Hz HDR encoded video.

Do you have or do you intend using an source that actually equipped with HDMI version 2.1? If so then yes, use a 48Gbps cable between that source and an HDMI version 2.1 equipped display. There's no benefit associated with using 48Gbps cables with devices that are not equipped with HDMI version 2.1.

This was back in the day but yea, he was seeing what he wanted to see. I do that all the time with TV picture adjustments, is it really better or can I just not remember what it looked like before?

I did not think even HDMI 2.1 was adding any wires or pins. Are they adding extra wires to the same pin to make a twisted pair for better shielding or something? Like how the first cables to say they can do 8k are all the same cables as before just the short ones that can get by with the same wires and shielding but are short enough for the full signal to make.

Put it this way, if wanting to use the single 8K, 4K/120 compliant input on one of the new Marantz or DEnon AV receiver to actually convey 8K or 4K/120 then you need to engage the receiver's 8K HDMI mode. DEnon suggest no doing this unless using a HDMI version 2.1 source and a JDMI version 2.1 equipped display and you'd not get the 8K or the 4K/120 video signal without using 4*Gbps cables between the source and the AVR and from the AVR to the display. Denon strongly advise against enabling the 8K mode if connected to older non compliant devices.

The additional bandwidth capabilitieas of the ULTRA cables cannot be exploited by any version of HDMI below version 2.1.

No research need be done. HDMI is standardised and the standardards determine what it can and cannot do. No, the latest 48Gbps cables will not result in wider gamut video signals. You convey whatwver the video is encoded and the encodings do not exceed the standardises capabilities. The colour gamut is vbasocally the same and all that has changed is the resolution or the frame rate. THese are the 2 elements that HDMI version 2.1 needs to additional bandwidth to exploit. You don't even need 48Gig because there's no 12 bit panels being employed on TVs so no need to send 12 bit video to a TV.

Last edited:
HDMI 2.1 does not add any additional wires. It is the same wiring scheme only modified to handle the extra bandwidth and how FRL will be handled.

As mentioned above, total B.S. The cable can not make greens any greener or reds any redder. Period. It's all ones and zeros. If you don't get sparkles, drop outs, etc then you are getting all that the source is sending.

When you find a source that requires 48Gbps bandwidth let us know. Can you tell the difference between a 4:4:4 chroma and 4:2:0, or even 4:2:2? Once 12-bit panels are available HDMI 2.1 will be useful for movies, etc but until then, gamers will be the ones to benefit first. But game developers don't have to follow the same protocols that movie makers do so who know how games will be encoded and if it will be consistent across the genre.

Keep in mind that certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, when available will be passive, copper only cables limited to a maximum length of 9' and hopefully 15'. But that's it. Anything beyond that then the best bet will be an active hybrid fiber cable. The design of those cables is much better for the higher video standards because they have glass fiber cores surrounded by copper wiring. The fiber cores are for the video that requires the higher bandwidth requirement and the copper wiring is for the lower bandwidth requirements like HDCP, EDID, and ARC. Separating the two is much more efficient in carrying error free signals over longer distances. But it is not perfect because it is an active technology and a lot depends on the HDMI port that the cable is connected to, distance, and how the cable is installed. As far as certification goes, I don't believe there will ever be an ATC (HDMI.org) certification program for active cables of any kind so the consumer will be left with however the cable mfr "validates" their cables for the consumer market. And without standardized protocols and tolerance ranges, there is going to be a wide variety in "validated" active cables that will be, and are now, hitting the marketplace. Added to that the device mfrs and their HDMI 2.1 chipsets, some of which are proprietary, and there are going to be issues.

HDMI 2.1 is a list of option sets. It is not a mandated standard, so cable mfrs can define their own parameters if the cable does not meet the cable length that is part of the HDMI 2.1 cable specifications and they choose to submit their cables for ATC testing (expensive).

No one suggested that HDMI version 2.1 used any additional wires. The 48Gbps cable needed to convey 8K or 4K/120 video incorporates an additional twisted pair that fascilitates the additional bandwith that cable can convey. Cables designed for use with HDMI versions prioe to HDMI version 2.1 cannot convey anything more than 18Gbps so using a 48Gbps cable in conjunction with devices with anything less than HDMI version 2.1 is utterly and totally pointless.

The PQ isn't determined by the bandwidth or the cable. The cable used will not effect the picture quality and you do not get better quality video via a 48Gbps cable. A faulty or inadequaete cable will result in dropouts are anomallies that shouldn;t be apparent. The cost of a cable doesn't mean diddl and not will shipping it in a wooden presentation box improve picture quality or indeed the reliability of said cable. Bettercables don;t result in better video, they simply work. Poor cables don't work and are not made properly or to the standards required.

Last edited:
HDMI 2.1 is a list of option sets. It is not a mandated standard, so cable mfrs can define their own parameters if the cable does not meet the cable length that is part of the HDMI 2.1 cable specifications and they choose to submit their cables for ATC testing (expensive).

That isn't strictly speaking correct. There is a ULTRA HDMI cable category that has an HDMI org testing and certification program associated with it:

The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable is the first cable defined by the HDMI Forum. Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables comply with stringent specifications designed to ensure support for high resolution video modes such as 4Kp50/60/100/120 and 8Kp50/60 as well as new features such as eARC and VRR. Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables exceed the requirements of the latest international EMI standards to significantly reduce the probability of interference with wireless services such as Wi-Fi.
It should also complly with what is required of a category 3 HDMI connection:

APPROVED CATEGORY 3 CONNECTORS
The Approved Connectors List can be found under the Resources menu.
In accordance with version 2.1 of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (“CTS”), HDMI Licensing Administrator, Inc. will maintain a list of approved Category 3 connectors (“Approved Category 3 Connector” list). For a device to pass CTS 2.1 testing at an Authorized Testing Center (“ATC”), all connectors on such device must appear on the Approved Connector list. To add a connector to this list, the system or connector vendor must test the connector at a qualified facility of the vendor's choosing, and the vendor must then submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing Administrator, Inc. full and passing testing results as set forth in the HDMI Forum Connector Test Result Form (“HF-CTRF”). The HF-CTRF is available on the Adopter Extranet. Only HDMI 2.0 Adopters may add their products to the Approved Connector List.

Successful completion of the HF-CTRF and/or ATC Testing, and the fact that a connector is listed as an “Approved Category 3 Connector” below, does not guarantee that any connector or product will conform to the High-Definition Multimedia Interfaces, function correctly or interoperate with any other product. Each Adopter is solely responsible for ensuring that its products function correctly, fully comply with the HDMI Specification and Adopter Agreement, and interoperate with other products

Policy for Model Names of Approved Connector List
A single complete model number is required per each HF-CTRF submitted for listing. Family model numbers are not allowed in connector model numbers. If you have questions regarding this policy or the process for getting your connectors on the list, please contact [email protected].
All existing connectors currently listed on the Approved Category 3 Connectors List are valid until further notice.

No, HDMI cablle manufacturers are not free to do as they please because HDMI is trademarked and controlled by HDMI org. If a cable doesn't comply with what HDMI org outline then it isn't technivally allowed to call itselg an HDMI cable. It is why US ports are overrrun with containers jam packed with "counterfeit" HDMI cables.

As to the conveyamce of digital data, I can receive a photo from anywhere in the world, passing that data through multiple servers and along a multitude of cables of varying cost to their owners. Unless there's a fault on the associated networks resulting in the loss of a connection, the data I get will be the same as when it was sent and will result in the same image as that which was sent regardless of the cables used to convey it. It is digital data and not an analogue signal. Those suggesting they get better video via more expensive cables may as well be saying that they get better Excel spreadsheets if paying more for USB cables. Do they buy overpriced USB cables in order to get better word documents and just how stupid does that sound?

Last edited:
@dante01 I suppose I wasn't too clear. HDMI 2.1 is a list of options that the cable mfrs must follow if they are to market their cables as compatible with HDMI 2.1. The mfrs do not have to offer all of the option sets but they do have to list which options are available if they are to market their cables as meeting HDMI 2.1. So, in a sense, they are free to do as they please as long as they list what is available. That's why early on some device mfrs had HDMI 2.0 chispets that were capable of handling eARC with an upgrade. eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 option set so if they updated their HDMI 2.0 chipsets, and listed eARC (and VRR for that matter), they could claim HDMI 2.1 compatibility.

Certification of cables is a bit different in that as far as the cable length meets the original length of 1m-3m and was passive, HDMI.org had, or has, an ATC program for certification similar to what they currently have for the HDMI 2.0 options (Premium High Speed HDMI) and attached a QR label to the packaging for authenticity. If the cable mfr wants to certify their cables for the full HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 option sets, they submit their cables of the appropriate length and get them certified with the subsequent QR labels attached. The QR labels are for what you alluded to as far as counterfeiting goes. However, any cable beyond the specified length, or any active cable, can not be submitted for certification so one is left to what ever the cable mfr says and how the device mfr configured their HDMI chipsets. All they have to do is offer the options and show that they work. Implementation, how that is done, is up to them.

The adding extra wire comment was in response to Tanquen's question above. The original HDMI specification was a design spec on how many wires would be used in the cable and how/what each wire would carry for signal propagation. Since HDMI 1.0, that has become considerably more complex and problematic as HDMI updated the signal specifications over the same set of wires. Even hybrid fiber follows a similar schematic as far as which fiber and copper wires carry so that the HDMI ports will be compatible with the HDMI design spec.

HDMI is a mess. Of that I think we can all agree. It comes down to distance and what you want to push over the distance. Certification is not a guarantee. It is really only for the consumer's piece of mind that at least the cable part has met the option sets (or standards if you want) as set forth by HDMI.org for the given HDMI specification number. But that in itself has limitations. 25' for passive HDMI 2.0 and 9' for passive HDMI 2.1. Anything beyond that, or active, is no man's land.

Not really no. HDMI version 2.1 relates to the hardware and not the cables. The added bandwith possible with HDMI version 2.1 has however lead to the need to readdress the cable's abilities and increase its bandwith possible via the cable. That same cable should however still be valid with newer versions of HDMI following on from HDMI version 2.1. The Ultra 48Gbps csables are not HDMI version 2.1 cables.

You don't need a 48Gbps cable to benefit from eARC. All you need is a cable that complies with what is needed for ethernet channel compliance. Almost if not All High Speed cables introduced since the advent of HDMI version 1.4 meet this requirement.

You've tied cables to HDMI versions on several occassions in your post. As I've said, HDMI versions have nothing to do with the cables and relate to the hardware. Cables are basically categorised according to their speed/bandwidth and not in association with HDMI versions.

Last edited:
No one suggested that HDMI version 2.1 used any additional wires...

You did. ???

"The latest cables simply include 2 additional wires which allow the cable to convey a wider bandwidth 48Gbps video signal. The 2 additional wires will only be utilised by hardware that is inclusive of HDMI version 2.1 and will not be employed by devices with a lower version of HDMI. "

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom