Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference? - article discussion

Getting sparkles when watching 4k HDR content through a media player, more noticeable on darker scenes. Currently using a amazon basic cable and want to order another to try to see if resolves the issue. What would you recommendation be, anything that is premium certified? cable needs to be around 1.5m.

Last edited:
At 1.5m the best you can do is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. Those are certified by an Authorized Testing Center (ATC) following the protocols designed and implemented by HDMI.org. Any cable mfr can submit their cables to an ATC for certification. Just look for Premium High Speed HDMI cable and make sure it comes with a QR label for authenticity. I've used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables and have had no issues at all with 4k HDR (including Dolby Vision) from any source. Just be mindful of bend radius because you don't want to put any strain on the HDMI input.

If the cable description starts to talk about HDMI 2.0, 2.1, etc just ignore it as Joe mentions above. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) means that it has been tested and certified to meet all of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications.

What Otto said.

At 1.5m the best you can do is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable. Those are certified by an Authorized Testing Center (ATC) following the protocols designed and implemented by HDMI.org. Any cable mfr can submit their cables to an ATC for certification. Just look for Premium High Speed HDMI cable and make sure it comes with a QR label for authenticity. I've used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables and have had no issues at all with 4k HDR (including Dolby Vision) from any source. Just be mindful of bend radius because you don't want to put any strain on the HDMI input.

If the cable description starts to talk about HDMI 2.0, 2.1, etc just ignore it as Joe mentions above. A Premium High Speed HDMI cable (QR label) means that it has been tested and certified to meet all of the HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications.

Thanks for the replies, £40 with shipping for BJC 6 foot cable :(

Will look on amazon for a certified cable to try.

'Getting sparkles when watching 4k HDR content through a media player, more noticeable on darker scenes.' - do you have any other HDMI cables you can try out before you make a purchase?

Joe

'Getting sparkles when watching 4k HDR content through a media player, more noticeable on darker scenes.' - do you have any other HDMI cables you can try out before you make a purchase?

Joe
I had to change a cable for exactly that problem when I first hooked up my new Pioneer LX500 on UHD content.

Joe

Currently using an amazon basics cable, have ordered another amazon basics to test plus a Premium Certified one to test as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/mrocioa-Premium-Certified-support-HDMI2-0-Black/dp/B07KWNPZ1L

Both should be here this evening, will report back if it makes any difference.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Tried multiple amazon basic cables and a premium certfied cable but still no difference, went direct tv to rule out the amp and still the same. Perhaps the device is faulty :mad:

Thanks for the help guys.

Have you tried replacing the one from the amp to the tv, how long is that?

Have you tried replacing the one from the amp to the tv, how long is that?

Yep tried that it’s now a amazon basic 1.8m

Plugged device direct to tv but still the same

It may be a fault with the Player - there is plenty of talk on the Zido forums about a flashing with certain TV's.

Joe

I can think of a couple of ways PCB design could do that.

I've just ordered a couple of new hdmi cables from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-AV1...5943402&s=gateway&sprefix=belkin+ultra&sr=8-4
Now before you guys shoot me down I know they aren't certified 2.1 (no cables are yet I believe) but apparently they are rated at 48Gbps so in theory they could give you a little bit of future proofing ;)
I need a couple of new cables anyway so for me it's a no brainer, I know I can get certified high speed (18Gbps) for a lot less but why buy them now to potentially throw away in a year or three when I should get several years out of these (until they change the specs again :rolleyes: )
Strangely enough on Belkin's website they have another 48Gbps cable that is twice the price but apart from having a braided cable sleeve looks pretty much identical spec wise.
I have a box full of hdmi cables in my loft, didn't realise how much money I have wasted on these things (still doing :D) until I was rummaging around the other day :eek:
So to answer the question at the top of the post "it depends" ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
These cables are not 'Ultra High Speed' certified - the marketing lacks any reference to official Certification so potentially they are just a cable which happens to use Ultra in its name :)

At 2m most HDMI cables are fine for 4K UHD and its various Features.

Joe

I agree with Joe. At 2m almost any, well made High Speed HDMI cable will work. I'd just stick with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable and be done with it. The Belkin cable in question was introduced awhile back BEFORE the 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 specs were ratified and the final chip designs were sent off for fabrication. Pure marketing, plain and simple. They will not give you any advantage over other High Speed HDMI cables. And, in my opinion, misleading to the consumer. The ONLY way to future proof is to install your cables in a conduit if you have a long run or to install your cables in a manner that makes swapping them out easy to do.

I also agree that it could all be just smoke & mirrors but I don't think they would make their claims without a little bit of testing/verifying, surely they would be leaving themselves wide open for lawsuits especially in the land of class actions.
Ultra HD High Speed HDMI® Cable (2018)
That admittedly is the more expensive of their 2 "ultra" cables but if you do a bit of sniffing around and find a picture of the packaging for the cheaper one it has the same claim of being 48Gbps and 2.1 ready.
It will be interesting to see what gets the stamp of approval during the HDMI certification process, maybe these won't be up to snuff but as I mentioned earlier I'm going to take a punt.
I think Belkin are on the list of 2.1 adopters and their products are usually pretty good quality so again enough reason for me to take a chance :smashin:

Anyone can stick a cable between two ends of a test device, run a single test and then 'claim' whatever.

The cables you link too were up on the Apple site long before 'Ultra High Speed' certification was agreed upon and over the intervening period the blurb and marketing of those cables has changed wording a few times.

As you say hopefully they will work for you and if not ensure they are easy to replace at a later date.

Joe

Yes they will be easy to get to so no issues there, maybe they'll end up in the loft with the rest,
I found some like new 8ft Mark Grant HDMI's up there that probably cost me a small fortune so I have previous :rotfl:

Time off for bad behaviour?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom