Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference? - article discussion

Need only 1.5 meters but its tested up to 16gb/s according to the specs mentioned on QED site.
Not even that - the test was only performed at 1m (I guess you are going for the 2m if you need 1.5m?)
Do yourself a favour and get something that is Certified Premium at the length required. If there aren't any Certified Premium flat cables available... then there might be something in that... ;)

Wow £28 for a 1mtr cable.
What a complete waste of money that is!.

This piece of "science" made me die inside.....:(
Bullshit.png

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
As will others.
Pay attention to the cable grade.

Yes indeed - others are of course available. Simply read this book folks, and your cable paranoia will be sorted. Mine was anyway.

I sold 6 pairs of Chord indigo's XLR's for BELDEN 1800F (from Bluejeanscable.com).

Huge Improvements - More music get through - simple as.

Why?

Just 'actually published' better figures (pF/ft etc) and better physics (High density nitrogen atmosphere foam etc etc). Sorted :smashin:

Attachments

• IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Foam and not solid?

High density hard cell foam:

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    379.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 60
Also - for completeness - check out Mark Waldrep's MUSIC AND AUDIO book - The book more or less takes care of everything else that isn't cables; as well as having a chapter on cabling too.

Attachments

• IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 67
Most of the criteria that applies to analogue cabling has no place being used in association with digital cables or the signal they convey.

I can buy HDMI cables that cost a fraction of what you'd pay for either QED or Blue Jeans HDMI branded cables that perfrm just as admirably as such branded cables perform. I can buy HDMI cables that aren't certified by HDMI org and and they convey a signal just as well as them. Certification is just an indication that the manufacturer paid HDMI org to test and then add official certification. There are even instances of some manufacturers having cables certified and then selling different cables with that same certification.

As to the reliability of Blue Jeans HDMI cables, wasn't it cables made by Blue Jeans that first exposed the fraudulent behaviour being extollled by some cable manufacturers making HDMI cables? It was some f their more expensive HDMI offerings that proved less efficient when tested against cables costing a fraction of what the Blue Jeans cables cost. No idea as to the reliability of Blue Jrans HDMI cables now, but they initially had a higher fail rate than many budget offerings that were being sold for less.

Besides which, Blue Jeans don't retail their cables in the EU.

Last edited:
Just a couple of three things:

1. It was Bluejeans that exposed others fraudulent behaviour.
  2. Bluejeans cost £12.80 for three feet. THEY DON'T SELL EXPENSIVE CABLES - Not sure what you'd be buying for a fraction of that price.
  3. They DO sell in the EU - in the UK in fact:
HDMI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Other than that - thanks for your contribution.

Last edited:
Just a couple of three things:

1. It was Bluejeans that exposed others fraudulent behaviour.
  2. Bluejeans cost £12.80 for three feet. THEY DON'T SELL EXPENSIVE CABLES - Not sure what you'd be buying for a fraction of that price.
  3. They DO sell in the EU - in the UK in fact:
HDMI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

Other than that - thanks for your contribution.

It is Blue Jeans and not Bluejeans. They do sell expensive cables (higher priced options that do nothing more than lesser priced alternatives) as well as a budgeted range.

Yeah, they sell so much in the UK that they leave it up to the consumer to convert the feet and inches into metric. A very EU centric operation they run there :)

I've no idea what XLR cables have to do with HDMI cables? Some of the factors that you've touched upon would effect or have an influence upon an analogue signal passing through an analogue cable such as balanced XLR, but HDMI is a digital means by which to convey a digital signal. THe main concern is whether the cable works and is able to convey that signal. If it cannot then you get nothing and not lesser quality video or audio.

Other than that, get your facts right.

Anyway, thank you for your brief appearance. Unlike you, I've contributed to this thread from its first page onwards. :)

By the way, I'd like to use this opportunity to further promote a service I originally started to offer earlier in the thread:
I'm offering to rub butter on cables for a small fee. This will have no effect upon the signal, but may be of some value to certain individuals with tastes that aren't ordinarily met by other cable manufacturers. Sorry, but I'm unfortunately unable to fulfil requests to wear a gimp mask while administering the butter although you will get to choose between Lurpak or Anchor.

A cheaper service using margarine is also in the pipelines and will hopefully be up and running sometime in the new year?

I'm now doing a 4K variant using olive oil enriched dairy products. This service is very competitively priced.

Last edited:
Does this involve olive oil made by virgin hedgehogs? One has standards you know!

BJC’s USP is their ‘assembled in the US’ range - which are higher cost than their ‘assembled in China’ range.

The books linked too are relevant to the Analogue world but not overly relevant to HDMI Cables.

As has been the issue from day one with HDMI the moment you want to ‘go long’ Certification is a moot point as there is no process in place which fits with the requirement to deliver HDMI at 8m+.

Joe

If those books don't discuss eye diagrams then they are not relevant to HDMI signals.

My initial comment was about HDMI.

I spread this out to analogue to demonstrate stats over poetic prose position.

I linked to BJC so that peeps could read their stuff on HDMI.

I provided opinion and experience - dante01 provided personal criticism.

Kack!

The whole problem associated with manufacturers misleading consumers and miselling HDMI cables arose due to those manufacturers attempting to carry over the same snake oil approach to selling analogue cables that they'd previously been using over onto their new digital products. Tou are not helping by enforcing something that has already been dismissed as bunkum.

Furthermore, do you actually own any Blue Jean HDMI cables? You appear to be endorsing them based upon your experience of BJ XLR cables?

Anyone interested in purchasing some premium USB cables? THey are handrolled on the laps of Playboy centrefolds.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom