Quantcast

Do expensive HDMI cables make a difference?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
For UHD 4K you are going to struggle at anything much longer than 8m no matter how much you spend.

A heavier gauge cable (tends to cost a bit extra) can work in the 8m to 10m range - they become a lottery after that.

Fibre HDMI are pretty reliable - we supply the Celerity Tek cables - those start around £220 for 10m.

HDBT are the most reliable 'over CAT' options - though currently won't support 4:4:4 at 60Hz (if that is a requirement).

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Celerity cables are pre-terminated with micro-HDMI connectors and have detachable Micro to Standard HDMI Dongles which also have the tethered USB power cable attached.

Joe

Bryn1

Hi, can someone please clarify the differences between HDMI cables marked as 'High Speed' and 'Premium High speed' I am assuming this is referring to the speed at which the cables can pass data? what would be the minimum speed for a cable marked as 'High Speed"?

Thanks.

resseh

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

Colin McPhee

Standard Member
Just bought a new TV and the sales rep in Currys (sorry, but it was the only place selling the Lg55C6 for £1400) told me this:
"When an explosion happens onscreen, only the premium cables can properly display the bust of colour".
Had to contain my laugh. £90 for a cable.
Bought 3 HDMI 2.0a/b cables for £18 - work perfectly ... but haven't tried any explosions yet.o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You should have insisted he give you the cable for free in return for not reporting him to trading standards. He was after all breaking the law by giving you mis leading information in order to sell you goods.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Just bought a new TV and the sales rep in Currys (sorry, but it was the only place selling the Lg55C6 for £1400) told me this:
"When an explosion happens onscreen, only the premium cables can properly display the bust of colour".
Had to contain my laugh. £90 for a f**ing cable.
Bought 3 HDMI 2.0a/b cables for £18 - work perfectly ... but haven't tried any explosions yet.o_O
Busts should always be displayed in the correct colour, never skimp on your cables when showing busts :facepalm:

pankov

Guys, Joe Fernand,
can you recommend a 10 meters (or may be a bit shorter but not less than 8 meters) 18Gbps HDMI cable that should work at 2160p60 with 4:4:4?
I have tried 5 different cheap to mid priced cables till the moment but they either don't show any picture at all or there are random pixels firing on and off all the time so they obviously are not working good enough.
I'm trying to avoid the most expensive cables (including some Fiber/Hybrid ones) because of the cost but at the end I might bite the bullet if nothing else works.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
At that length Fibre/Hybrid Fibre is the only reliable option I have found - which is why we are now bringing the Ruipro Hybrid cables to the UK/EU.

Joe

pankov

Joe,
who is "we" when you say "we are now bringing the Ruipro Hybrid cables to the UK/EU"?
And when you say "at that length" do you also mean 8 meters? I think I saw a post from you ... or I might be wrong ... that at 8 meters there might be a solution with copper cables ... or did I misread it?
And finally
Does anybody know a place in UK/EU where I can buy Monoprice cables and the 30ft SlimRun one in particular
SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, [email protected], YUV4:4:4, 30ft - Monoprice.com

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'We' - my company is The Media Factory (My shop – The Media Factory).

8m - a decent gauge of copper cable is an option, I have some of our 'old' 8m BetterCables Silver Serpent cables I use in myself test rig at 8m with UHD.

Monoprice - is a California based US Online/in-store brand, they are not (as far as I am aware) sold outside of the US unless Amazon or similar ship them.

Joe

pankov

Joe,
I'll check out the Ruipro cables but from my first look they are quite expensive and was wondering if the copper ones that you recommend are any cheaper.
Do you have a link to a UK/EU store which offers them?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ruipro Hybrid HDMI - not low cost but very effective and currently one of the few options once you go above 8m.

Bettercables - they/we stopped bringing them to the UK/EU a few years back, in the early days of HDMI they were one of the few cables you could rely on for 1080p at lengths up to 15m. Once the rest of the market caught up they were too small to compete on price with the high volume brands.

Joe

pankov

I'm still searching for a cheaper solution and was wondering if somewhere in Europe I can find an active copper HDMI cable using the Spectra 7 HT8181 chipset like this cable from Monoprice
DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 30AWG, CL2, 25ft, Black - Monoprice.com
According to one of the members of the cable development team at Monoprice it should be able to cover our 18Gbps needs.
Here is his post at AVS Forum
TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Joe,
don't get me wrong - I still believe your solution is/will be superior and I appreciate all the information and support you provide but I simply can't justify the huge price difference.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'm still searching for a cheaper solution and was wondering if somewhere in Europe I can find an active copper HDMI cable using the Spectra 7 HT8181 chipset like this cable from Monoprice
DynamicView Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K, HDR, 18Gbps, 30AWG, CL2, 25ft, Black - Monoprice.com
According to one of the members of the cable development team at Monoprice it should be able to cover our 18Gbps needs.
Here is his post at AVS Forum
TEST REPORTS | HDMI CABLES WHICH PROPERLY AND RELIABLY SUPPORT 18GBPS & HDMI 2.0b - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Joe,
don't get me wrong - I still believe your solution is/will be superior and I appreciate all the information and support you provide but I simply can't justify the huge price difference.
Cables shouldn't need or have active components. The cable is passive and doesn't require integral chips or circuitry. If using an active cable then it is drawing power from the HDMI inerface and the HDMI interface was never intended to supply this power to the cable. The power supplied to the cable in there to convey a signal from a to b and not there to power intermediary devices or active components integrated into the cable. Any cable that has such active components will not and cannot be passed or certified by HDMI org.

Last edited: