1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Etailers have January sales? Plasma specifically

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Damon, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Damon

Damon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Having a discussion with a guy at work who says I should wait until January to buy a 436XDE due to these supposed January sales.

I am saying high street retailers wouldn't drop their prices down to anywhere near what you can get them online for now and that online etailers probably wouldn't drop the price on these anyway as they are the new line.

Has anyone had experience of online retailers having January type sales or should I just get a good online price now.

Example, Visions in the Whitgift Centre Croydon have the 436XDE's; well they have the FDE set up but it is the same panel minus the media box, but he quoted me £2800+ for the XDE and bracket or table stand, now I know I can get that for £2500 or less online with free delivery. So a January sale would maybe bring that down to £2500-2600 so no actual saving over what I can get it for now. But if online retailers are going knock a hundred or so off already good prices, I might wait for that.

What do you guys think?
    Damon

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its more likely we'll see reductions in prices for SD plasmas over the Christmas/New Year period, possibly the budget Hitachi/LG/Samsung HD plasmas too -- can't see any retailer looking to drop the price of a Panasonic PV500 or a Pio 436XDE given that these models are top sellers and the it seems the demand for them is greater than supply.. it doesn't make sense from a business point of view.

My own guess is that the top spec HD plasmas will remain more or less at the price range they are at up until Easter or thereabouts, when Sky HD finally takes off (although i've heard a rumour from one salesman at Currys that Sky HD might be delayed till next August, in time for the next Premiership season.. apparently the initial idea was to get Sky HD up and running for the World Cup footy but since Sky haven't been able to pick up the HD rights for the World Cup , there's a rumour that Sky might delay it.. not sure how true this is, anyone? )