1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do DVI> VGA cables convert the DVIout to analogue VGA?Hi All

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by calvinhobbes, Feb 2, 2005.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am buying an HTPC that only has 2xDVI out, but it apparently comes with a DVI to VGA cable.

I need to run VGA to my Sony HS50 projector as it is generally regarded as the best connection even over DVI.

My question is whether the DVI > VGA cable converts the digital signal to a normal analgoue one that the VGA cable can carry, and whether there would be any difference vs just a VGA out?

Thanks

2. Berwhale

Berwhale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will work exactly the same as a standard analogue VGA output.

The digital to analogue conversion is done on the GFX card, it just remaps some of the DVI pins to the same function as a 15 way D-sub socket. The DVI to VGA 'dongles' are just straight through connectors.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    DVI comes in 3 versions:

DVI-A - analogue output only. It is just VGA through a DVI connection.
    DVI-D - digital output only. No VGA output is available, even via the converter you mention.
    DVI-I - this carries both analogue and digital.

AFAIK the output from a graphics card is DVI-I and therefore to connect to a standard VGA monitor etc you just need the converter.

Mark.