Do DVD's have different quality?

B

Brakeinup

Myself and my wife watched 2 dvd's this weekend - X-Files the Movie (seen it before but the wife wanted to see it again) and Star Wars Episode 3.

We have also just finished installing a new 32" Acer LCD on the wall, new Yamaha amp, new good quality cables all round, all cables hidden etc.

X-Files was put on first. And to my dismay the quality was not what I expected - skin textures and faces in general where doing some odd things. But we continued to watch the film and tried to ignore the odd quality.

Next evening we watched Episode 3. This made me much happier as the picture quality was stunning - no odd skin textures or wierd things happening to faces. All scenes looked great.

The question is: are dvd films made with different quality hence the difference in output between the two films, or is my hardware at fault here?

Thanks

chrislad

DVD isn't a one quality medium. There are varying degrees of quality. It depends on how they were shot, transferred, processed and/or remastered. That X-Files is a fairly old DVD so it probably doesn't have the best picture. If it's ever re-released, no doubt it will improve. Episode 3, on the other hand, is near the pinnacle of DVD perfection.

B

Brakeinup

Thanks for the info - for a while I thought I may have had a problem with my hardware!

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom