Do DVD's have a unique identifier like an ISBN?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by penk, Jun 10, 2004.

1. penk

penk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am wanting to get a list together of all my DVD's, CD's, Videos and books on to an excel spreadsheet. Mainly for insurance reasons, so I have a record etc.
    I want the list to be fairly comprehensive, incase things need to be replaced in the future.
    i'll use books as an example; i will note down the Title, Author and ISBN number. With DVD's I can write down the Film title, Year released, but is there a unique number for DVD's similar to the ISBN, I have noticed the catalogue numbers you get on the spine of the case and was unsure whether this would suffice? The alternative maybe the barcode, but again i'm not sure whether this would be of use? I was wondering the same for CD's and Videos as well. I would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions - many thanks

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Use DVD Profiler. You simply enter the barcode number and it will have all the details of your dvd. You can even view it on-line...

A lot of people (including me) on these forums use it..

Download it from HERE

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +968
    I think the small number you mention is unique to each dvd title and each studio/distributor has its own codes, and so is the barcode.

Most people on this forum tend to use a programme called dvdprofiler, which is a fantastic programme, albeit only for dvd's, but i know there is also one out there for games as well, but can't remember whats it called, but i'm sure someone will know.

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I used to think this number was unique until I ordered a cd and was send a different cd with the same catalogue number.

Also, some dvds share the same barcode, mainly US and Canada but sometimes others as well.

5. penk

penk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I thought I had heard about a program that people used, but couldn't remember the name of it.
    Does anybody know of something similar to DVD Profiler that I could use for my Video's and CD's?
    thanks very much for your help so far!

6. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah i noticed this - tried to add my uk version of city of god to my collection and got presented with 28 days later..

i couldnt even see a uk version of city of god listed anywhere in the database despite having updated it so have no idea whats going on :confused: