Do DVD recorders tuner's work with analog cable?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andypannyex75, Apr 26, 2007.

1. andypannyex75

andypannyex75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Spain on an urbanization where UK tv is cabled around the urbanization most VCR'S have no problem with the tuning, but will the new DVD recorders cope with this format? obviously i would purchase a Spanish unit to cope with the PAL variation.
    Thanks for your help

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    As long as you buy it locally and it has an analogue tuner (not a DVB or Digital) tuner it should work re tuning the same as the locally bought VCRs.

3. andypannyex75

andypannyex75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply
    I just sent my Panasonic ex 75 back cause it arrived with no sound from the scart or component outputs. Having lost faith in the panny, and decided that the manual was written by a bunch of babboons, i have decided to go with a different model.
    My only requirements are that i can edit my camcorder footage and Vcr tapes on to the hard drive
    Do you happen to know which recorders under £400 have an analog tuner, and could do the above?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    I would have recommended a Panasonic but you're obviously not thrilled with them...Pioneer and Toshiba spring to mind but I'm not up-to-date with the model nos.

5. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You would need to be careful to get a machine that (1) has the full tuning range, and (2) is capable of being set up to suit different regional broadcast standards.

The second of the above conditions will rule out some machines, such as some Panasonics, that don't allow for different sound channel frequencies (PAL I, PAL B/G etc). This might be the reason you got no sound. However some other makes such as Pioneer and Toshiba can be programmed OK.

Of course, none of this will help if you are trying to receive a subscription service and the signals are encrypted.