1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do DVD-R only playback on multi-region players ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by partridge, Jan 3, 2005.

1. partridge

partridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I got my Sony GX300 replaced today, as it would not record properly.

The new one seems fine, however, the -R discs that I record on it only seem to be playable on multi-region players.

I can play it on a PC, but not on a PS2. I can play it on my own multi-region and on other peoples, but I cannot play it on other peoples region 2 players.

Is it me or is this standard ?

Thanks

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They should play on most others, is your Sony set to record in any other region other that 2?

3. partridge

partridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know Skes, I will have a look. I don't recall seeing an option to change the region though.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    All your recordings are Region 0, i.e. you can set the Region coding on them. If your having trouble playing discs it could just be a brand/player compatibility issue. Whilst DVD-R is the most compatible format there are a few (about 5%) of DVD players that won't read it. Try and different brand and see if the problem persists. Needless to say you are finalising the media?

5. partridge

partridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I am finalising the media Rasczak.

I cannot find anywhere within the menu system of the unit to set the region, but I have now established that one of my friends can play the disc on his Toshiba (multi-region) and another cannot play it on his Tsohiba (region 2).

I will find out the respective models, I would expect the PS2 to play them though, or am I wrong to think that ?

Thanks for your help by the way.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Do a search for the machines your trying to play the discs on here. I promise you playback of DVDRs has absolutely nothing to do with setting the Region!

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    I've been having a few problems with the recordings I've created on my E85 on DVD-R, they won't play back on an LG player and my mates' Sony player - these players both work OK with the same brand DVD-R discs for stuff I've backed up on the PC using DVD Shrink. But If I copy the DVD-Rs I've created on the E85 on my computer to another DVD-R they work fine. I'm really confused.

8. partridge

partridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Rasczak, I misunderstood your previous post, I thought you meant that the region would be 0 and that I would have to then choose to encode it as a particular region. Thats why I was going on about looking for a region setting in the recorder config, not because I didn'tt believe you.

Anyway will try to compile a list of the players that do and don't and then check them at the link you posted.

Cheers,
    Mel.

9. partridge

partridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is becoming stranger, I have tried the same -R disc in my friends Bush 2023 and it works fine. The site listed above (videohelp.com/dvdplayers) says that it should not work.

10. videonasty

videonasty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I videoplused the football last night this morning I tried it on my Mac, but it won't read the disc? I'm using the Sony DVD-RW? :suicide: