Do DVD players have tuners?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gades, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm about to buy a DVD player (first time), and I was wondering if I could is it as a tuner as well.

My TV's tuner doesn't work properly, so if I wanted to see any TV signal, I had to get a VCR (as they have their own tuner). So, if I buy a DVD (don't have a VCR anymore), will I be able to get my TV working again?

Gracias!

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    No tuners in DVD Players, as it is a DVD Player.

DVD Recorders have tuners to allow recording of TV in the same way as videos, but just to buy one to get a tuner would be rather an expensive way of solving your problem.

Regards

Philip

3. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PhilipL,

I guess that I won't buy the DVD player then.

But, if I find a second hand combo (the ones with DVD and VCR), even they don't look too good, I guess that'd be an option.

Actually, my TV's tuner works fine, but it's a Spanish TV, so the sound frequency is different. That's why I need to get the signal from another thing like a VCR. As soon as I connect the TV througha scart cable (not the normal TV cable).

Thanks for the inf., you've saved me about 80 pounds!

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Your welcome.

Can you not pick up a cheap video recorder, they are not expensive now, just go into Asda and pop one in your trolley :)

Alternatively a car boot sale or something maybe.

Regards

Philip

5. Gades

Gades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Philip,

but I do not want to buy a second hand video. I did a few months ago; and it came up to be a bad idea. Even this video was quite new, there was a problem with its sockets. So every once in a while I lost my reception, or the movie would stop being recorded, and lots of little things. It really has a mind of its own.

I have my own video as well, which I bought with the TV, but the tuner is Spanish as well.

I thought that probably, it'd be a safer investment to get a second hand DVD player than a brand new cheap video. You can get videos for 60 - 80 pounds; and the same prize for second hand DVD players.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks again

Fernando

6. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You can buy brand new DVD players for £99 and brand new VCRs for £65 from Argos...

Cheers,

Ian in London...