1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do DLPs improve with age?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dunsters, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I searched for other threads on this but did not get a hit - despite it being something mentioned on and off anecdotally a number of times in this forum.

Do DLPs actually improve once they have bedded in (like a car engine being run in) and cope better with poorer feeds, DVD settings and the like over time or is this a fallacy?:confused:

I was reminded that my first HD-D50 was less then perfect day one (I find this hard to belive but my sister is adamnet:rolleyes: ) and my sister says her Sony rear projector TV seems to have gotten better with age (3 years old):confused:

Am I barking (up the wrong tree) or does anyone else have a view?:smashin:

Cheers :hiya:

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Maybe, but I'd also imagine you start to watch TV content rather than look at the TV itself, and so start to ignore the little foibles that bothered you to begin with.

Regards

Mark

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    DLP's have a burn of approx the first 100 hours. The picture settles down after this. (I beleive that the coating around the bulb burns off). After this the picture should remain constant untill the bulb fails, unlike crt/lcd rer pros.

With CRT and LCD rear pros the picture deterioates with time becoming more faint and not as bright and 'punchy'. Colours look washed out etc....

4. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Razor :hiya:

I knew I had seen this before but when I mentioned it to TSG and Sagem support desk they said they knew nothing and suggested the very idea might be a bit fanciful:rolleyes:

Cheers:hiya:

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

No problems mate :smashin:

Most of the staff at these manufacturers havent got a clue. :suicide:

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    CRT agreed. But LCD - how so?

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Do LCD's not deterioate with time? :confused: I have never owned a LCD rear pro so I am not 100% sure on this (I always found the colours too un-natural) . Surely LCD's dont last forever. A good friend of mine has a LCD rear pro and he swears the picture has faded over time (approx 3-4 years old) :D

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Well, not generally, that I know of. Some badly designed models have been known to "stain" with heat from the lamp. But there's no intrinsic reason why they should.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

LV426 :hiya:

I just googled it and mixed stuff is coming up. Who knows hey. :confused:

The mistery of LCD. :D

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    HMMM...... Since an LCD projector consists of three monochrome LCD chips, plus dichroic filters and prisms, it's hard to see how or why one would "...loose (it's) blue first..." It looks rather like a biased, or uninformed, or scaremongering, or something, comment to me.

Guess we'd better let this thread get back on topic.

11. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if it's the same thing as with oled than the organic parts that make the blue color just degrade faster than the other colors. But I didn't know TFT-LCD's used organic coloring thought it was all mineral

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunsters you are VERY Right.

Being a fellow HD-56B owner, I was going to return it after I got it cause it simply looked crapped then after a day past, it started looking better and better.

I am in Italy at the moment but I am sure once I hit the 100 Hour burn off time it'll look even better, overall, this TV is the BEST DLP out for OVER 50 inches!

13. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm also in europe at the mo. The engineer is in on Friday so lets hope he can get me properly tuned in and whatever connection or bit of solder that is not right, sorted. I am sure it will turn out all right :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: .

I know I am seeing things these days (mostly my life passing before me if this expensive TV does not get sorted at least to the missus' satisfaction - or is it just old age creeping up?) but I know my onions when it comes to PQ and what I had with the Sagem 50 so I do not want to get fobbed off :lease: This fix better fix it!:nono:

I don't know how many hours we are up to yet but it gets a good bashing every day -especially with the lads on Holiday so after 3 weeks, I suspect we must be up to half way there. If the magic 100hrs is right, I should get the best of both worlds - the engineer's fix and the improved 'run-in' set starting to emerge a few days after that:clap:

If this all works out you lot will not hear the end of it!:D :D

The more I think about it the more convinced I am that DLPs need burning in - I have scouted the US forums but no mention there either - is this an industry 'best kept secret'?

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

[​IMG] Shhhh.... :rolleyes:

...... [​IMG]

15. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I noticed a fair difference after my first hundred or so hours, the PQ is just excellent. Now i cant get enough hours in front of it.

Hope you get your set sorted dunsters. :smashin:

16. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks - I have so many ideas of how to test/play with this setting or that and a brand new set of cables arriving in the post today to recongfig the connections between Sky, the Amp, the DVR/HD and HTPC that I cannot wait now to get past the engineer visit Friday and play play play :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (it is amazing how many people here seem get carried away back to their childhood with these AV toys- just like me!:D :D :D )

The boys reported that they saw no problems with Sky feed during the last week so perhaps there is more to this Burn-in than meets the eye???

I will update along with some photos I have finally taken when I get back from Paris, tonight:smashin:

17. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just thought i would air my 'personal' view. I really haven't noticed ANY difference at all from day one with mine, and i've had my TV for about 4 months now, i personally believe that 'slight niggles' people initially have with the sets (possibly after coming over from CRT perhaps) fade over time due to constant watching. The old brain does a fantastic job at tolorating things, just think back about things that might have happened to you in the past (perhaps something you did wrong) - for me it was tipping wet concrete over my perfectly laid patio :suicide: that took four months to lay (i read in a book to do this and brush it into the cracks with a hard broom :eek: ) - but night fell quickly and i didn't get all of the concrete off the surface of the slabs, the following morning i awoke to find the slabs stained :mad: ). I was really :mad: :mad: but i've still got them down now, and after 6 months or so they weather in and all is fine :) :smashin: