1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do digital camera users still need prints?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by pixelmajic, Feb 5, 2003.

?
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only sometimes

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  4. Every time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How important are ‘en-prints’, or prints of any kind for that matter, to digital camera users?

Does the traditional route of prints from media still hold true?

For the odd one or two, maybe… but is cd-rom and view by other electronic media the new ‘en-print’? It would be interesting to hear your view as I also own a mini-lab with digital output. In fact I have offered digital for the last four years. But I am not optimistic for the future of the lab. Digital users only want, it seems, a few selective shots cheaply printed (15p) I cannot see much work or profit in this…So, I am considering offering ‘art’ enlargement solutions, large format digital prints optimised for display and framing. (24/30inches wide +) Hand printing the digital way if you like. Or is the print really dead? In which case, I had better start applying for that job at B&Q…

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now use CD roms as albums and send to relatives with PCs.

Create VideoCD for viewing on TV with DVD player for best pic collections.

Use jessops only in batches of 40 and for about 1 in 10 photos.

So far Backed up about 1500 pics. Have been to jessops 3 times. Yet to delete originals off harddrive.

have 4 CD albums and 2 VideoCDs. 4 CD albums (approx 300 pics per CD) take up a lot less space!!!!

Printing is very much last resort for keeping the media

3. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, nunew33, prints as a last resort huh? So the comforting feel of real prints is not for you? It looks like the serendipity factor of finding a box full of prints in the attic for generations hence, will not happen! I wonder if a box of cd's will play on future OS...? Always assuming that electricity is still available? I worry too much, I know...

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Whilst I am quite happy to send pictures to the family by email or CD ROM and place my photos online for others to see, there is one thing that everyone seems to have missed.

I can't hang a CD on the wall in a frame
    I can't keep an email in my wallet with a picture of my family
    I can't display a webpage at an exibition

Prints are still the only way to make sure EVERYONE can view my pictures. After all, my granny who is 90 year old doesn't even own a TV never mind a computer.

5. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello casual browser...spend a second to VOTE! An awful lot of people visit but few bother, so come on..pop in ya vote..sheeshh

Ahh the granny problem. mine is as blind as a bat and would probably see the pic better if viewed on a 42" plasma..not that I have one that is!

And how many pics are lost in archive cd's? Who can really be bothered to fire up and load a cd? But sorting thru a bunch of old photo's is almost voyeristic...

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Network guy. I used 2 get through 2 rolls of film a month.

Of 72 pics:
    5-10 would be trash
    1 would be worth framing
    most would be alright but snaps rather than pics
    Id be lucky if I had 10-15 that were reasonably shot. Id take up to 10 shots per creative shot (eg exposure bracketing)

With LCD and a delete button, I no longer have trash pics, majority well shot, well exposed and creative shots normally spot on. Altho for me paper pics are a last resort, the ones that do make it paper are all spot on pictures taht are all worth framing, hanging up, carrying around in a wallet, and make an album far less tedious than it was before, being snap free.

7. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me started on the delete button! Sometimes we are unable to recognise a 'great' pic the moment it is shot. some of the finest pictures have been snaps that have been re-discovered after years... That, now, because of the delete button will no longer happen...? scary thought huh?

8. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Actually I do agree with nunew33

This is one big advantage in digital.

You can take a lot more 'trial' pictures than with film as there is no cost if you get it wrong.

Of course, I don't think anybody would send an entire CF card full of prints off to be printed. You have the option to view your pictures and then pick the good ones out, edit them etc . This way, when you eventually print, every one is a good one with no waste (the same applies if you print them yourself).

But the whole idea of new technology (not just photography) is to give you a choice.

If you want to print something (or get something printed for you) for your wall etc, you can. But you also have the option of email, web, CDs, DVDs etc so you can choose a medium to suit you.

9. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with Network guy. I now take more pictures 'per subject' than I would have done with 35mm film. I also look for different ways of viewing the thing I am photographing. The result is I am more satisfied with my photography [though I know I have a long way to go!].

I also now try out different methods like long exposure, black & white, infra red or macro without having to change anything but a filter and a button push or two. I only own a 2MP camera, but like working with its limits [and occasionally pushing them too].

As for printing, I have done a couple on my Epson Stylus 900 and they are rather good [but the not 'photographic' quality of the modern printers] and went in for the 10 free 7 x 5 prints from www.jessops.co.uk. Now they came out very well!

My next job is to get my prints online for [further] storage and posting on websites / forums.

Jon

10. neilrob

neilrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i cannot understand why we take photo`s and not get them printed, surely the conveniance of deleting realy bad photo`s is a great thing to have. but these prints are our history, our memories to share. not to have on cd rom or on video. although they are always handy for backup`s in case of damage or loss.
    with the cost of printing being quite low why not get them printed, or print them yourself. remember photograph`s are always a good talking point. show them on video or on P.C. and you might as well be watching soap`s. go on, go no, go on splash out and get them printed.

11. RHardaker

RHardaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good points by most people.

I am a convert to digital now. I still use my £%mm EOS for special events such as motor racing and especially areana type stuff.

In terms of digital:
    I print just what I want to print - i.e. the best pictures that I can give to parents / grandparents or ones I want to frame. All the others are kept on hard disk with copies on CD. I have used DVD playback but again not something my grandparents have. You can always carry a laptop around I suppose. I think future generations will accept the new formats but you'll always need to print some. I must say on the subject how excellent digital pictures are when printed by a photo shop (not a printer at home). Not printing all pictures saves a lots of money, a lot of clutter and is even better for the environment!

.Richard

12. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I mainly use 35mm and have 7 x 5 prints, I am very selective taking shots so print the whole roll every time.
    I only use my digital camera with work and so far haven't needed a professional print, just use my Epson Stylus Photo 750 which is O.K.