Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Do bookshelf speakers sound better than floorstanders?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Jun 7, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, the title was a play on words.

What I mean is, because you normally have bookshelf speakers on stands, brackets or shelves, the tweeters are normally on the same level as the listeners ears, while with a floorstanding speaker that is on the floor, the tweeter won't be in line with the listeners ears.

I have noticed that if I have my Mission 700's on top of the 702e's, so that they are directly in line with my ears, they sound awesome... much better than my 702e's in fact.

Has anyone else found something similar to this?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There's more to it than the height of the tweeter - the whole box has quite an effect. I have Kef Q1s which IMHO (and just about everyone else) is a much better speaker than the Q3 (essentially a Q1 in a big box). So it may be that you are experiencing the same effect - not being familiar with the 702e, I can't comment specifically.

My experience with the Kef Qs wouldn't lead me to generalise that all standmounts are better than their floorstanding brothers.

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally i dont think it really makes as much difference as people say it does when listerning to music at optimum hight levels.
    Most people i know have floorstanders including myslef and sitting height doesnt seem to have any relation to listerning pleasure in the senarios ive seen, but then i suppose it all depends on how atune your ears are:)

'My experience with the Kef Qs wouldn't lead me to generalise that all standmounts are better than their floorstanding brothers.'

I think with regards you last comment it depends on what you listern to. I persoanlly find untill you hit the £2000 mark that standmounts sound contained, restricted and flat. Most standmounts are just a floorstander in the same series cut in half. I like the bottom half because it adds more to the sound and the extra wood in the speaker is a must to add fullness (imo).
    Listerning to someone strum a base guitar or a harp on a standmount is generally a no no (imo) untill you start listerning to some real expensive kit.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I don't know if you read my comment properly (apols if you did) I said I WOULDN'T generalise ...

wrt your comment about standmounts being floormounts cut in half - In the case of Kef Qs I'd say that it was definitley the other way around - standmounts first then stretched into floostanders.

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Opps i didnt read it properly did I :( i thought you said it would lead to you to generalise not wouldn't:)
    Doh my fault. I think i had better try waking up a bit more before i try and post something. Sorry dude:)

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    that's alright at least the rest of your post made some sense :)

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'd agree with this every time. I'd only get floorstanders if I was getting a speaker designed as a floorstander in the first place.

Take the Mission M5s. I'd always take the M51 bookshelf over the M52 floorstander, as the floorstander has the same drivers.

I'd always take the M53 over the M52, because it has different driver in to give it extra bass in the lower regions.

Same goes for every other speaker that is similar to these.

8. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally find that untill you start spending £1500+ on floor standers they seem to lack the absolout control and fast punchy sound of a good standmounter, many sound rather boomy and slow to me and that isn't anything to do with the room as I have listend to some great floor standers in many rooms, among my favourites are the Naim SBLs which are nothing short of breath taking, fast punchy and such a deep and brilliantly controlled bass it's unreal but they are expensive and take about 6 months to run in properly :)

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I think the definitive answer to that is that stand-mounts sound better than floorstanders except for the times when they don't.

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    And yet i have always found that floorstanders sound better than standmounters except when they don't, funny that.

Steve.