Do blu-ray disks come out quicker in US as most SD-DVD's Did?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deerhunter09, Sep 19, 2007.

1. deerhunter09

deerhunter09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do blu-ray disks come out quicker in US as most SD-DVD's Did?

I know i could look on play.com vs playusa.com but just wondered how owners are finding releases?

if US releases are quicker would i be best buying an american region model?

Its like going back 7 years when i bought my first region 1 dvd (contact - jodie foster) :)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,442
    Generally the US BluRay release schedule is fuller, with titles released earlier, than the Region B (UK/Europe) range. Accordingly a large number of users here have US machines.

There are, of course, some exceptions - Crimson Tide, The Rock and Starship Troopers have all been released in the UK whilst the US still awaits. However these are region free so you can still play them on a US player.

Personally I have both UK (PS3) and US (BDP1SE) playback ability but am avoiding any Region B encoded discs at present. The US has the better range so I'll stick with that - and at present the High Street pricing of discs is an absolute joke (£25+) so there is no way in hell I'll be buying any discs in the shops anytime soon.

3. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One of the factors behind this is that Region A includes North America, Japan and Korea.

This was a deliberate step as most of the companies behind Blu-Ray (Sony, for example) are based in these Far East markets. Inevitably, more disks will be released to this market, and hey presto, they're available to watch in the US as well.

Meanwhile, Europe is stuck in Region B...

4. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I don't think this is Blu-ray specific. HD-DVD's tend to come out quicker in the US also.

5. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ... and since HD-DVDs have no region code we can watch them on our players with no problems at all... (this is not me being pro-HD-DVD, it's just a fact. I'm on the fence as far as the format 'war' goes).