Question Do bi-wireable speakers have to be bi-wired?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by sugarmagnolia, Jan 14, 2019.

1. sugarmagnolia

sugarmagnolia
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What I’m saying is, if I buy speakers with 4 wire ports on the back of each speaker, do I have to use all of them? Can I just use 2 wires on each speaker, one for LF and the other plugged into HF and then leave the other 4 holes like any other speakers? Or do I have to use only one of either HF or LF, not both? Can’t find the answer to this anywhere, also sorry if it’s badly explained/worded.

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    You don’t have to but if you aren’t then you need to link up both sets of terminals. All the bi-wire speakers I have owned came with a detachable metal link that did the job but a very short length of speaker cable would do the job.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,692
    No, you can just connect the two, usually the lower pair. Just make sure that the jumper bar is connecting both upper and lower binding posts. There is very little to be gained by bi-wiring speakers and many manufacturers put four binding posts on their speakers to kid you into thinking it will make a difference.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,132
    Agreed, I think this is a case of one speaker maker including 4 terminals per speaker, then consumers thought they were getting something more for their money, and began demanding it, and other makers followed suit. But I would speculate that a very very vast majority of speaker owners never Bi-Wire or Bi-Amp. It is there if you need it, but rarely is it done.

So - NO - it isn't required.

Steve/bluewizard