1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Better Amp's Make Better Sub-Bass?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bwstsw, Apr 16, 2004.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

This has probably been covered before, but do bigger, better amps (such as a £500 quid Yammy for example) produce better, more powerful and deeper bass for active sub-bass units, that a cheaper entry level amp would do (for example a £100-£150 quid Sony or Panasonic)?

Somebody suggestted to me once that with it being an active sub, a better amp wouldnt affect the bass at all, with active subs having their own amps. I surely cant see that replacing a £150 amp with a £500 one wont make the slightest difference? Or does it?

Cheers

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    In my experience the upgrade in amp made a great deal of difference.

Not to the power, as the amp within the sub still controls that, but I heard massive improvements in bass control and levels.

On my previous amp (an SR4300 by Marantz) the bass was a bit lumpy and boomed a lot. But with the bigger SR7400, the control and timing improved by a massive amount. It also sounded smoother when it needed to, slammed when it had to and was subtle when it was told to be, a big transformation indeed.

You should also get a much better musical performance with all that extra control too.

A bigger and better amp not only improves bass control though, but all aspects of sound.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you have any of your speakers set to small then the crossover may be better managed, that's about it.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I have little experience of this in AV but in traditional HiFi, a better amp does improve the bass so I guess the same should hold true for AV

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why should it? The improvement in bass from upgrading the amp in a 2.0 situation or 5.0 for that matter may occur if the new amp is more capable of driving difficult loads (my understanding is the restistance of the speaker tends to be at its lowest in at bass frequencies).

In this case the sub is powered and only receiving an input signal. It is acting as a preamp but unless the cheaper amp is very poorly engineered or the new one deliberately messes with the bass signal rather than being neutral, there should be no difference.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    In this case the sub is powered and only receiving an input signal. It is acting as a preamp but unless the cheaper amp is very poorly engineered or the new one deliberately messes with the bass signal rather than being neutral, there should be no difference. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly, I think a badly designed receiver or cheap receiver can alter the lfe signal which in turn alters the bass from the sub.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Bleh, it has to operate over say 10 to 120Hz, if whoever designed it can't get that right they should be fired :D

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I dont think it is a case of poorly engineered amps having less control over a more expensive amp, the difference is largely due to manufacturing and cost restraints. There are of course expensive amps which are very badly engineered and cheaps amps which are superbly designed but the use of cheaper components like transformers, capacitors etc will degrade the sound. Economics will always play a part in mainstream equipment.

We generally accept that a £2000 DVD player should give a better picture and sound quality than a £80 DVD player, it is therefore the same with amps.

It is not that you get more bass with a better amp it is about having better defined and controlled bass and this should link into a better defined sound whatever the frequency.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have quoted below a post that I made in May 2002 after reading somthing interesting in Hifi Choice.

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ian if you read my first post in this thread the first thing I did was mention a possible improvement through a better executed crossover which is basically what your quote is talking about (it says bass management so perhaps I was too specific in just saying crossover). :)