Do bare wooden floors affect subwoofer performance?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mark Hamilton, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never used a sub before but considering using one. I guess most setups are in carpeted rooms and wondered if anyone has comments/experience of problems peculiar to rooms with bare wooden floors. Are Down firing or forward firing better?

2. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I have laminate flooring - I didn't have the sub when I had carpets, but I find it works very well (FF).

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Bare wooden floors will affect high frequency performance to a much greater extent than low frequencies.

Subwoofer performance shouldn't be affected much if at all by the lack of a carpet.

I think there is no definitive answer to the downward or forward debate. It's really about the overall performance of the sub as opposed to which way the driver fires.

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Unless the floor is rubbish and rattles like a goodun, carpet or lack of will have no effect on sub bass - The wavelengths are far too long to be absorbed by even the deepest pile carpet.

As regards FF v DF, I'd only add that if space is limited, turning an FF sub around can move the the effective point of bass reproduction by an amount equal to the subs dimensions. If a movement of a few inches can move an unfavourable room mode away from the listening position, then the space restricted may benefit from this extra flexibility.

In raw performance terms, it makes no difference whether the driver faces out or down. It's an aesthetic issue.

Russell