1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Audiophiles think YSP-1 Is a Joke?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Aug 19, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am asking for the opinion of Audiophiles and wondering if you find this technology a joke, and that for the same price you could get better seperates?

(I think the YSP-1 Is Convenient and Nice but I am not am just an Amateur Audio Lover)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard it as when we got to the Yamaha room at the Bristol show it was at the end of a long days listening and we couldn't be bothered to sit through yet another demo.

Having read many posts on the subject I get the impression that the YSP-1 isn't aimed at audiophiles at all but as a convenience solution for the many households where the bloke starts his post off here with the words "my wife won't allow me........"

It also seems to work better in some rooms than others as it needs close reflective surfaces to bounce the sound off.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I have a s/h Denon A1 and some sub £100 each B+W speakers. The Denon replaced a £375 Onkyo thing I had. If I was doing it again I'd SERIOUSLY consider one of these Yamaha things. For sound quality, combined with a decent little sub, I think it is a real option. Obvoiusly if you want to spend a couple of grand you'll get better...

Gordon

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I heard it briefly at a show and wasn't impressed. Didn't necessarily sound bad, but the surround effects were not really coming from behind.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    You probably didn't hear it set up well. In normal domestic situation, confiigured correctly you can make it sound as though things are directly behind you if you wanted to.

Gordon

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    :) So 90% of this forum could have one somewhere in the house before long then!

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Don't get hung up on the audiophile thing...

You do this when you are buying your first set of speakers and you read internet reviews from so called audiophiles that the speakers you have just bought are rubbish

Like the above post said, 90% of people just listen to something and if it sounds good they are happy with it and are then totally bemused as to why so called audiophiles criticise it

Learn to dismiss these audiophiles and just enjoy your home cinema hobby

8. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I had one for a few days before it got returned to Costco.

It is a very convenient solution that gives a very wide front soundstage. In my room, the surround effects never did sound like they were coming from behind, and on paper at least, our room is ideal. That's why it went back. Its selling point to me (and everyone else I guess)was that you didn't need the back speakers. I'm afraid in that respect it just didn't cut the mustard.

I certainly wouldn't say it was a joke at all. Just not too great compared with having physical speakers where they should be IMO :D

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello kmhtkmhtkmht

I thought 'Audiophiles' thought surround sound was a joke!

With great care over the set-up and the use of a sub woofer the Yamaha is just as relevant as any other Surround Sound Processor/Satellite/Sub package for under 1K and its certainly ten times less 'intrusive' in your average TV lounge.

There's a detailed review over on Audioholics - I guess I can link too it seeing as AVForums seems to be a link machine to everything US these days :)

See http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/YamahaYSP-1DigitalSoundProjector1.php

I've used them in a few rooms now and achieved very decent results in all situations so far.

Best regards

Joe

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The 1limited technology that goes into it potentially has some very exciting possibilities in a more "audiophile" enviroment IMO. I admire Yamaha for giving it a go at a non esoteric price level (yes Pioneer, I mean you :laugh: ).

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, that's possible. The room was rather small and crowded, not the best place for a proper demo I guess ...

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm another Yamaha fan, I think it is a good product. I for one am looking at it to go with a flat screen