1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Arcam DVD players need 'running in'?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Timmy C, Dec 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I've had an Arcam DV27A for a couple of weeks now and watched 10-15 films but haven't been altogether thrilled with the picture! I was wondering if, like with some other bits of kit, it will noticeably improve with time? I had some members of my family round today so gave them a demo using 'Fellowship of the Ring' and 'Happy Gilmore' and with both films they all thought my Denon 2900 looked better! I can't understand how a "£1900" machine that is raved about by everyone can be beaten by an "£800" machine in terms of picture!

I would like to believe I have a faulty machine but there's nothing obviously wrong with the picture, it just doesn't look as good! Could the rest of my kit have anything to do with it or maybe my cables are better suited to the Denon? Everything except my processor is Arcam so I would like to keep the dvd player but not at the expense of picture quality!

I'd very much like to hear peoples thoughts on this as my Denon is leaving me at the end of the week and I'm feeling a little gutted!

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Very strange. How is it connected to your display (SCART or component)? If SCART, is it set to RGB? If component, are you watching it in interlaced or progressive scan mode? What is your display?

I wouldn't of thought it took that amount of time to bed in. My DV79 looked great 'out of the box'.

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I'm using the progressive scan output using Scorpion component cables into a Sim2 Domino 20. To be honest I don't really believe it's going to improve with time, I was just hoping someone was gonna come up with a magical solution as being a big fan of Arcam I don't want to admit to myself I've made a big mistake!

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't believe that time will help, it should be right now out of the box. There should be nothing wrong with the cables either, I have some Scorpion cables and they are very well made. Best thing to do to eliminate this is to try another set, perhaps any that came with the Sim or Arcam. If the cables don't make a difference then I would take it back to the dealer.

What defects are you seeing?

Regards
    John

5. Ohboy

Ohboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Maybe Progressive scan is not the best P.Q. for your set up, have you tried component, I get an excellent P.Q. via component with my DV78.

On the other hand it could simply be, that your television/plasma whatever
    has to be tuned in to the arcam, have you tried adjusting brightness/contrast etc...
    I previously had the denon 2900, when I changed to the Arcam I was unsure that the P.Q was better with the Arcam, but after about a week or so and some fine tuning of my plasma, I would not go back to the Denon if you paid me.

good luck

cheers

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    DVD players vary somewhat in their video output levels. It is absolutely vital that you set up your DVD player/display combination with a good test disc like Digital Video Essentials. If you don't do this you simply won't get the best from your system.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I've been using the same set of Scorpion cables with both dvd players so wondered if they were just more suited to the Denon.

As far as set up on the pj goes, I've used Digital Video Essentials to get the best I can from the Arcam but we all thought the Denon pic was still better even with the pj set up for the Arcam!

Sticker, in answer to your question, it's not really a case of seeing defects in the Arcam picture it just doesn't look quite as crisp and clear as the Denon. In fact I noticed in a scene at the begigning of Happy Gilmore where he first picks up a golf club there's a treasure chest on the floor. As the camera moves round, the chest shows some kind of distortion with the Denon but was ok with the Arcam but overall the scene still looked better with the Denon.

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know any dealers in the London/Surrey area (near Kingston if poss. as I don't have transport) that have Sim2 pjs on demo that also deal in FMJ and Denon dvd players. I'd like to see them professionally set up and maybe see what my other options are.

Thanks for your replies guys.

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,
    PJ HiFi are in Guilford if that's any help, they really know their stuff there. Give them a call and ask to speak to Elliott.

HTH

John