1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any Video Senders have RF output?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by michaelm, May 5, 2004.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I want to send the signal from my Digibox and cable box, via my vcr, to a portable in my bedroom which has no av input. I don't want to run a cable as the distance is too far. Are there any video senders onnthe market that have rf output?

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't find any but for £20 you can get a Video->RF converter to attach to a video sender. You still need Video input at the transmitter end though. This is what I plan to add to mine at some point as my portables don't have Video in either.

3. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi michaelm,

Have you had a look at the Digisender? This is available directly from the web, and I also believe that Argos stock it.

For £20 you can order an add-on module which connects to the unit to provide a UHF (tv aerial) output. You canorder both the digisender and the accessories at www.easylife.co.uk

If you happen to be using a digital cable stb, you may or may not be aware that some of the models manufactured by Pace do not use standard IR signals, but a variant known as IRDA. This can cause problems when you want to control remotely from another room, as many video senders will not support the codes used by the pace stb.

So what does this have to do with the digisender? Well, it is the only unit (that I'm aware of) to support IRDA. To support the digital cable boxes, you will need either the standard digisender (£80) and the add-on digi eye (£50), or buy the digisender gold (£120) which combines the standard digisender unit and the digieye into one box.

I believe that the digisender gold also has more inputs than the other models, but i may be wrong.

Hope this helps you out, let us know what solution you decide to use!

Tony

4. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Medion one I bought from ToysRUs has an RF output.
    I can't find it on ToysRUs' site, but I think it cost £40, and the model name could be any combination of, MSN 5000 9056, 08-03 or MD 9048.

Martin.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The gigavideo 70 has RF out on the receiver. It is available Here for £52.88
    I don't know if this is a good price, I just did a Google search for 'gigavideo' and this was the first site that I found.

Mark.

6. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    MartinB and MarkE19

Are your systems any good? I mean, what is the sound and video quality like? Is there any hiss or picture breakup?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The sound is fine, but the PQ is not too good. After all it is only a composite video signal, so is never going to be that good. Also it can be liable to breakup at times if there is much noise from other electrical appliances etc especially the microwave that will just about wipe out the picture & sound.
    For the money (they are now much cheaper than when I bought mine) and the convenience they do do a good job, but they are are not 5.1 with component video :zonked:

Mark.

8. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a background hum that's noticable during silent parts, but I can't say I find it intrusive at normal volumes.
    There is also a herringbone pattern visible across solid colours, but not noticable in practice.

I've taken some pics, and some audio using my ipaq (so not the best quality). All are 45-75k
    Pics.

Solid, with herringbone
    Example 2
    Example 3

Audio.
    4secs Paused
    6 secs Music and speech

Hope this helps with your choice.

Martin.