Do any of you turn your surround speaker levels up higher than what they are automatically calibr

Texasjack

Ex Member
Reaction score
With auto calibration I still feel that the rear and side surrounds are at too low of a level. I boosted mine just slightly and am much happier with the results. Have any of you done this as well?

With auto calibration I still feel that the rear and side surrounds are at too low of a level. I boosted mine just slightly and am much happier with the results. Have any of you done this as well?

Short answer: yes. At the end of the day you want a sound that you are happy with and enjoy, regardless of whether it is 'accurate'. And pay no attention to other people's opinions of your set up :D

Short answer: yes. At the end of the day you want a sound that you are happy with and enjoy, regardless of whether it is 'accurate'. And pay no attention to other people's opinions of your set up :D
Agree
Ultimately it depends on your listening requirements, quite normal to boost surrounds, Atmos even mote and often the Centre to improve dialogue clarity
We use calibration tones and levels to a standard of 75dB, however after that it really is up to you.
Often the front three LCR calibrate at 75dB and the surrounds tend to differ (lower) by a dB or 2 so no issues there to lift/lower as you see fit

The most useful part of auto calibration is setting the delays without getting the tape measure out, the rest is just your starting point for individual preference. I've found surrounds tend to be a bit low but just up them till you notice them and then knock them back a peg so they blend back in with the system, equally most seem to run their subs a bit hot as most EQ seems to be on the subtle side.

I think it also depends on listening levels: I found when I first got into AV and had a lowly Dolby Pro logic set up and lived in a semi detached house with paper thin walls I would raise the surround levels up quite a bit. My listening level was low.

These days I can listen much louder (though I keep it about 10db below reference to save my ears) and find that I'm quite happy with the levels set by my AVR (Arcam AVR390 with Dirac).

Just do what you feel gives you the best experience; if they start to be too obvious, then knock them down a click or two.

usually let audyssey do it's thing, set it's levels, then sit in my seat with the radioshack sound meter and set the speakers to the same level using that. Audyssey has never set them to the same level yet

usually let audyssey do it's thing, set it's levels, then sit in my seat with the radioshack sound meter and set the speakers to the same level using that. Audyssey has never set them to the same level yet
As mentioned, once you have that reference you can up/down to your hearts content to suit you

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom