Do any of you serious DVD collectors worry about HD-DVD's impact on their value?

smashed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys buy so many DVDS it amazes me :cool:
Checked out some of your collections and I couldnt even read my way thru the list, let alone watch them all.

Dont you worry that you will want to replace them all with HD versions, and that your DVD collection costing thousands will be worth little?

I dont buy DVDs for what they are worth - I buy them because I want to watch them. And I certainly wont be double dipping and rebuying ones ive already got when HD versions come out.

But some guys have a thousand. I cant comprehend it.
I tend to buy DVDs that I enjoyed in the cinema or via rent, and that I want to own. I will then probably want them once they are upgraded to HD.
Whenever I buy a DVD that looks good but I havent seen, it always seems to be not as good as hoped and spends the rest of its life just sat on my shelf :mad:

I have about 300 DVD's at the moment. When HD DVD comes out- I won't be rebuying the same DVDs.

I don't live near a cinema-so that's my excuses for buying so many dvds :rolleyes:

I don't buy DVD's for what they are worth either- I also buy them because I want to enjoy a movie :)

Just like Battle I've mainly mainly purchased DVD's to enjoy the film.

I don't have a thousand but a good couple of hundred.
There is an element of building a collection as a hobby & I'm always interested in packaging/presentation etc.However, I've never once bought one as an investment from a viewpoint of increasing or maintaing it's value - money wise.Indeed anyone buying AV software/hardware is in the wrong game/hobby if that is a major consideration.

Sure - I've purchased DVD's & wondered why a day later ! Likewise, I have a few I still haven't viewed after a couple of years.It is easy to get carried away & get a so called bargin & then wonder if you really wanted it in the first place ! Still woman have been doing this since the stone age :devil:

As for double dipping when HD eventually kicks in there are probablty no more than about 20 Films/DVD's that I would consider upgrading.

I got my first VHS player in 79 but didn't worry about all the money I spent when I got a DVD player in the late 90's.If you always wait for the next best thing you will end up looking at a blank wall.

Smashed - You sound like you would be better off just renting you DVD's rather than purchasing ?

I have about 170 DVD's

Like most have said, I don't intend to replace all of them.

However, as time goes by, and as long as the wow factor is still there with HD, i'll end up replacing more and more.

Reckon after a few years i'll have replaced between 25-50%. Bit vague which I guess means I havn't a clue how many i'll replace :rolleyes: :D

Don't think I'm showing my age here but when I upgraded(read downgraded) to CD from vinyl & sold my planer 3 I only rebought around 10 albums- I did feel a little peeved to shell out again but I had to have them. I do feel a bit cheated when I have to buy what is essentially the same thing again.

No.. I love buying my DVD's, and have about 110 I think. However, a lot are comedy that I can watch over and over.. ie, only fools, red dwarf, fawlty towers, partridge etc etc.. and a lot of decent blockbusters / modern films.

I think you are missing my point. Its not that I am saying people buy for "investment" because I know that they buy for enjoyment. I am saying that its like the VHS to DVD scenario
i.e. .. When you spent say £10 on each DVD, but then only get £2 back once HD is out, you will surely be miffed to splash out £15 on the HD version. (And im sure a lot of you will, because you are enthusiasts)

And some of you will have the same problem 1000 times over. :rolleyes:

I spent £35 on the 3 VHS edition of Star Wars... then its the same for DVD... and soon there will be the 6 DVD version everybody buys...
then it will be the HD version...
by that time all the previous versions are worthless

But I dont mind buying a lot of the time.. I mean its cheaper to buy the R3 off CD-WOW than it is to take my girlfriend to the cinema haha... and you get to keep it too. Its been a good choice since I bought my projector.

i've got 737 at the moment with a few on order. i'm not planning on doing the whole HD thing for a few years as it'll mean upgrading everything, and i'm pretty satisfied with the quality of DVD, but when I do, i don't think it'll be the same as changing vhs to dvd, so i will probably only double-dip on my favourite movies, or ones that i think would really benefit from being in HD.

I just sold most of mine (had over 1200 with a lot of rare le's).

I have seen the price drop a lot in the past few months and I think it will all be hard drive based soon.

I don't want to get stung like i did with my Vhs collection. I have sold about 900 so far and have got around 10k for them I am down to the cheapies now so I will probably keep them as they won't go for much.

Most of the DVDs im buying at the moment are TV box sets and unless it was filmed in HD in the first place (which not a lot has been so far) i dont think we will get a HD version of it released anyway.

Anyway I havnt got a HD tv and probably wont be able to afford one for a good number of years yet anyway - so ill stick with the plain old DVD format for now

T2 was not filmed in HD was it?

I have seen it in WMVHD and that was impressive. If they can do that with a near on 15 year source what they could do straight off must be incredible.

Even older films that have been digitally restored like Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, Singing in the Rain etc should look eqaully as stunning from a HD master.

I have over a thousand and I would be mad to replace them. I have virtually mno interest in HD formats until the price drops dramtically after several years. It would also mean I would need a new projector so more £££.

I enjoy my DVD's for what they are and will be watching them for years and years (some are already 7 years old now).

smashed said:
Some of you guys buy so many DVDS it amazes me :cool:
Checked out some of your collections and I couldnt even read my way thru the list, let alone watch them all.

Dont you worry that you will want to replace them all with HD versions, and that your DVD collection costing thousands will be worth little?

Nope. I don't intend changing my hardware anytime soon, well except my TV (advice needed and wanted here please guys :) )for something bigger so I can see that I'll be getting afew years more viewing pleasure from what I have now and what I'll be buying in the near future.

That has cleared that up then :D

i dont worry about it. i dont buy because of their value - i buy because its what i want. Ultimatey most hobbies are stupid and you lose money but that's a choice we make.

when HD copmes along i'll look at it but it will have to be a mature technology for me to leap in - i've bought to many things first and had my fingers burnt. so my planned HD upgrade will be in 2007/8

Gary

It looks like Blu-Ray has taken the lead over HD-DVD (according to thedigitalbits latest news anyway), but I am worried about what I have read of the intended copyright protection on Blu-Ray systems. Apparently the Blu-Ray player will have to be connected to the web permanently so that when a disk is inserted the player can check (via the movie companies) if its a pirate or not! This means that they can track what you watch, when you watch it and how often. It also means that they can lock you player (through firmware) if it suspects a pirated disk!

This makes me very nervous about upgrading to a HD system, so I will sitting back for a while to see how things pan out after its released. It doesn't sound promising to me! I have probably about 700 disks and won't be replacing many of them after all the money I have put into them regardless of the above concerns. I am interested to see how the general public will warm to the new copy protection stuff when its all finally released.

They will find ways around that system... just like every other security system for DVD's , Xbox Live, etc etc :clap:

Ger said:
It looks like Blu-Ray has taken the lead over HD-DVD (according to thedigitalbits latest news anyway), but I am worried about what I have read of the intended copyright protection on Blu-Ray systems. Apparently the Blu-Ray player will have to be connected to the web permanently so that when a disk is inserted the player can check (via the movie companies) if its a pirate or not! This means that they can track what you watch, when you watch it and how often. It also means that they can lock you player (through firmware) if it suspects a pirated disk!

This makes me very nervous about upgrading to a HD system, so I will sitting back for a while to see how things pan out after its released. It doesn't sound promising to me! I have probably about 700 disks and won't be replacing many of them after all the money I have put into them regardless of the above concerns. I am interested to see how the general public will warm to the new copy protection stuff when its all finally released.

Thats a very worrying development isn't it. i'll cross blu ray off my list then.

Gary

I've got a HD set but I still have a wait and see attitude to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Don't forget, a few years ago people were predicting the end of CD when SACD and DVD-A came along. Now it looks like those two formats are about to disappear while CD is still going strong.

We're an enthusiasts' forum, and we make up a tiny percentage of the market place. Any new formats have to overcome the indiffernce of Joe & Josephine public. Most of them have never seen conventional TV or DVD exploited to their full potential, so whether they will be in a position to make a qualitative judgement about HD formats remains to be seen.

Or as in the case of DVD-A and SACD, they may not even care about the improved quality.

Even if a hi-def disc format does take off, with 3,000 odd DVDs I certainly won't be replacing all of these with HD copies. As it is picture quality varies - some I own are superb, others are good and others are acceptable. It will be the same with HD. Like a previous poster, I can think of only maybe a couple of dozen that I'd think warrants a HD upgrade. I get stunning results at the moment with many discs and can live quite happily with that PQ.

It's not as if the quality between DVD and HD is going to be as great as between DVD and VHS.

Ger said:

Is that a bad thing? No. I'm all for copy protection, provided they don't go overboard with the whole region thing or worse like the DRM issue on current HD material.

I have a genuine T2 Extreme, (not a pirate) but can I watch the HD print in the UK? No I can't, only a US based IP address can download the 5 day certificate. I am being punished for not being American. Wouldn't mind if I could get it here, but I can't.

If HD starts getting too localised or, worse still, limited to one viewing per week/50 viewings before the disc counter stops it from being played, that is a more worrying development.

Stopping lowlifes from ripping the disc to sell on a market on Sunday mornings should be stopped. I can barely find a second hand disc to buy these days that isn't some poor rip.

Anyway, I seem to have wondered off the thread a bit here :oops:

As with most, I buy for enjoyment and the HD stuff I've seen enhances the enjoyment, so I'll be replacing quite a few discs with their HD equivalent as soon as I can. I've already put off from buying the supposedly spanking new 10th anniversary edition of Toy Story 'cos I want a HD version. All the main animated stuff will get replaced along with several nice blockbusters. Maybe one day I'll be able to view T2 without having to mess about with US proxy settings :devil:

Its the same every time something gets upgraded though, the VHS to DVD being a good example, i had loads and loads of videos and i eBayed them all off to get DVDs.

Yeah there maybe a few movies that i would rebuy, but mainly i would have a collection of HD and DVD, and once HD disks are out i will buy them rather than the DVD version.

the same situation is with computers, if you bought a state of the art PC now, then in 6 months (or less) if will be old-hat but you dont really upgrade your PC every 6 months.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom