Do any camcorders use auto exposure or anti shake settings with DVin/AVin?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by hitched, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hitched

hitched
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any camcorders allow you use their built in auto exposure or anti shake facilities with DVin/AVin.

Last year I connected my helmet cam to my old Canon camcorder. The footage is great except that it is all over exposed due to the bright sunlight and white snow. I can purchase some lens filters to reduce the glare but wondered if any cameras use their clever bits with an AVin feed?

Regards
    Dean

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I don't think so. Obviously optical image stabilisation won't work. I guess it could be possible for the camcorder to use Electronic image stabilisation on the AV/DV input, but I don't think any do.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    No the camcorder is really just a video recorder at this stage and while it can convert the signal from which ever the bulletcam recorded to a format to tape, the Exposure/ Image stabilisation occurs before the video imaging is captured..
    by the time it gets to the camcorder it has been captured
    Also optical Image stabilisation works at the level of the actual lens to which the electronic in the camcorder have no access
    As Mark says Electronic image "correction" is theoretically possible but this is just as possible in software afterwards..AFAIK no camcorder does it