Do American bluray players work on english hdtv's?

Morphial

Standard Member
Reaction score
As per the title. I am in florida on holiday and have seen a cheap blu ray player

Will it work on an english HDTV?

I have a 40 inch samsung lcd(cannot remember the model number).

I heard that as you use a HDMI lead that ntsc/pal doesnt matter, is this true??

Thanks for any advise/suggestions

As per the title. I am in florida on holiday and have seen a cheap blu ray player

Will it work on an english HDTV?

I have a 40 inch samsung lcd(cannot remember the model number).

Thanks for any advise/suggestions
It will do, but you may need a mains transformer, and it will probably only play region 1 DVDs and region A blu-rays unless you get a region-free mod. There are cheap BD players over here as well!

Nick

Thanks for the reply.

I need an american blu ray player as I visit america twice a year.

I use a PS3 at home but its annoying that the PS3 is not region free re blu rays hence why I want to buy an american blu ray player so I can buy the region locked discs whilst on holiday

Ahhh.

In that case it will probably be fine. US TVs generally dont play 50Hz video, but European TVs generally play 50 and 60Hz video. Recent ones play 24Hz as well. Best to check your TV manual though.

Nick

Sort of , for blu rays the output is going to be a HD format , so as long as the TV accepts all those formats you'll be fine , whether or not the TV will play pal dvd's though is another matter , it should in any case upscale everything to 1080p or some other HD format , meaning the TV will most likely accept it , but theres no guarantees on the player actually accepting pal discs !

The Oppo BD 83 will play anything and with its universal power supply will work anywhere , and can be made region free with a very simple mod , its literally a quesion of replacing a cable ... but its not cheap. You'd be looking at about 400-500 dollars

Last edited:
yes,it will work,but you willneed a stepdown transformer. I have a Sony 350 USA model and it works very well.

However I would advise you to simply get a UK model. The Sony 360 sells for around £130 and their are lots of films to use which are very cheap.

The USA models are ok if you intend to get lots of region A discs. But I find I am buying more region B,than anything else.

Not sure I understand the last post. Can i buy a Sony 360 here, England/Ireland and have it play USA Blu Ray and UK Blu Ray ? I have a lot of regular DVDs from USa and play them on an upscaling DVD Multi Rehion player.

But I'd like to get a Multiu Region Blu Ray DVD player.....and I need a definitive recommendation ......thanks in advance....

Not sure I understand the last post. Can i buy a Sony 360 here, England/Ireland and have it play USA Blu Ray and UK Blu Ray ? I have a lot of regular DVDs from USa and play them on an upscaling DVD Multi Rehion player.

But I'd like to get a Multiu Region Blu Ray DVD player.....and I need a definitive recommendation ......thanks in advance....

You can buy one here and have it play region B and region free Blu-ray.

You can also hack the UK model to play region 1 DVD, but region A Blu-ray will not play unless you buy a modded machine, which costs more.

yes,it will work,but you willneed a stepdown transformer. I have a Sony 350 USA model and it works very well.
You don't need a step-down transformer for that model.

Remember guys, this is for watching BDs in the USa, not over here!

Nick

Thanks for all the replies.

The player i have found in only $78 (about £50)!!!!!

My only worry is whether or not I will be able the upgrade the firmwire but at £50 its not like I am spending a fortune

You don't need a step-down transformer for that model.

Remember guys, this is for watching BDs in the USa, not over here!

Nick

I thought the post meant he wanted it to bring here for watching his collection of USA Blu-rays, in which case he would, wouldn't he?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom