Do all the fitness smart watches need a smartphone and app ?

Ittiandro

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have no Smartphone. Before buying a fitness watch, I need to know if I must absolutely have a Smart phone to use it with an App to setup the watch. All I need really is to be able to see the data while jogging ( HR, calories, etc) . I'll erase them after each session. I don't need to record them.
In other words, will I still be able, in principle, whatever fitness watch I buy, to see the data on it wthout Smartphone and APP?
I am confused. Some buyers on the Amazon site say that, the watch will keep the data until midnight. No need for an APP .Some say no.
Hua Wei told me that , yes, I need Smartphone and App.
If this is modern technology, I find it illogic and even stupid that it should be so poorly designed as not to allow using a watch for what watches were originally designed : to look at them to see the data ( time or other) directly on them..
Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks

Ittiandro

iv'e just ordered one of these for one of my daughters

as far as i am aware this will show you the fitness stats on the watch in real time but if you wanted to keep a history log then connecting to a smart phone app would be needed

the biggest problem with all these types of watches is they set the time / date etc from a smart watch connection but there are smart watches that run a full android operating system which are basically a smartphone on your wrist which take a sim card
you don't have to put a sim in them and the operate just like any other smart phone without a sim
an example would be one of these

there some compromises such as constant daily charging and no IP68 water resistance but they will do what you want and much more

iv'e just ordered one of these for one of my daughters

as far as i am aware this will show you the fitness stats on the watch in real time but if you wanted to keep a history log then connecting to a smart phone app would be needed

the biggest problem with all these types of watches is they set the time / date etc from a smart watch connection but there are smart watches that run a full android operating system which are basically a smartphone on your wrist which take a sim card
you don't have to put a sim in them and the operate just like any other smart phone without a sim
an example would be one of these

there some compromises such as constant daily charging and no IP68 water resistance but they will do what you want and much more

Thanks
If I can use the watch and see the data direcly on it in real time, without an app setup with a Smart phone, this is great, but I'd also like to know if the DATE and time itself can be set directly from the watch, without pairing with an APP.
If I cannot set the date and time directly from the watch, won'this affect the readings on the watch, particularly the duration of the session?

THanks

Ittiandro

Thanks
If I can use the watch and see the data direcly on it in real time, without an app setup with a Smart phone, this is great, but I'd also like to know if the DATE and time itself can be set directly from the watch, without pairing with an APP.
If I cannot set the date and time directly from the watch, won'this affect the readings on the watch, particularly the duration of the session?

THanks

Ittiandro

I won't know if date and time can be set up manually until the watch arrives but from experience of other watches like the this one i don't think it can be

things like heart rate monitor, steps etc.. won't be affected by incorrect time and date they will still show

Well, it depends on what you mean by fitness watch. Do you mean a smartwatch, which is a watch that gives you smart features as well as some basic fitness/ sports metric features? Or do you mean a sports watch, that it is primarily at its core, a sports metrics watch and has little to no smartwatch functionality?
If you want a smartwatch, you will need a smartphone as the whole point of a smartwatch is to interact with a smartphone. You get some basic fitness metrics which for the average person might just be enough.
However, if you want a proper dedicated sports/fitness watch to get all sort of metrics, super accurate and able to handle any activity or sport you can throw at it, you need a sports watch and with those, you don't need a smartphone. Now, saying that, there is a certain functionality that will benefit from using a smartphone, but in essence, the watch runs itself, stores the data within the watch, and you can then upload it to sites like Strava, etc. There watches provide basic smartwatch features that you can choose to use it or not. Generally, these watches are for multisport, triathletes and people who take training to another level, so streaming a song from Spotify or get the latest notification on your phone might not be the highest priority for someone using this type of watches.

I hope you find this helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't know if date and time can be set up manually until the watch arrives but from experience of other watches like the this one i don't think it can be

things like heart rate monitor, steps etc.. won't be affected by incorrect time and date they will still show

I was able to get a Smart Phone, so I finally decided to buy the Hua Wei Honor Band 4 watch.
I downloaded their app, but the watch never worked . The screen wouldn't get activated except for a bunch of Chinese characters, but I don't need tp learn Chinese when I am jogging.
I spent one hour on the phone with Hua Wei cs. They were unable to get it working, even after going through all sorts of minutiae, ( send pictures of the watch screen, etc). Finally I had to return it.

Ittiandro

I was able to get a Smart Phone, so I finally decided to buy the Hua Wei Honor Band 4 watch.
I downloaded their app, but the watch never worked . The screen wouldn't get activated except for a bunch of Chinese characters, but I don't need tp learn Chinese when I am jogging.
I spent one hour on the phone with Hua Wei cs. They were unable to get it working, even after going through all sorts of minutiae, ( send pictures of the watch screen, etc). Finally I had to return it.

Ittiandro
my daughter is very pleased with the Kospet Probe i posted about last march she uses it with an Iphone and it works flawlessly
iv'e no clue about the Hua Wei Honor Band 4 watch iv'e never come across one nor did i mention anything about one in this post
i'm not sure why you have quoted me in your last post i was talking about a completely different smart watch

I have no Smartphone. Before buying a fitness watch, I need to know if I must absolutely have a Smart phone to use it with an App to setup the watch. All I need really is to be able to see the data while jogging ( HR, calories, etc) . I'll erase them after each session. I don't need to record them.
In other words, will I still be able, in principle, whatever fitness watch I buy, to see the data on it wthout Smartphone and APP?
I am confused. Some buyers on the Amazon site say that, the watch will keep the data until midnight. No need for an APP .Some say no.
Hua Wei told me that , yes, I need Smartphone and App.
If this is modern technology, I find it illogic and even stupid that it should be so poorly designed as not to allow using a watch for what watches were originally designed : to look at them to see the data ( time or other) directly on them..
Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks

Ittiandro

I believe that Fitbit can be used on any device that supports Bluetooth, like a PC, Laptop or Tablet.

Fitbit can be used with a pc. Ive had a fitbit for a long time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom