Do all the 5 series ATI cards pass True HD and DTS HD to the amp?

thats the exact card i am looking at! i've got a copy of windows 7 home premium and plan to run my movies plugin (which i currently use now on vista with much success) so hope it will work pretty well.
i am told by my friend who used to work for amd that this is perfect but am a little rusty in PC bits and building knowledge myself

In a word to your question..... Yes!! It will pass hd audio via PDVD 9 Ultra or natively using a combination of FFDShow's latest builds and MPC-HC latest builds or by registering a couple of filters from the MPC-HC standalone filter pack.

Definitely worth getting one, are you planning on using it solely for movie use or are you looking at some casual gaming. If your thinking of gaming I would suggest you look at the 1GB version.

Have a read of my guide in my signature to get an idea of how to integrate HD audio into Mediabrowser.

Hope that helps

Not for gaming, purely for movies. Of course the next thing is, can I squeeze it into the tiny HTPC!

I think I'll order one and will report back.

The sapphire card is £67 at scan with free delivery for AVF members...

Thanks ! I'm just waiting for Arcsoft to release the TMT3 patch :smashin:

Also just seen them at £63 at Amazon, not in stock as yet but I'm a Prime customer so delivery will be free

Last edited:
I saw the Sapphire but it looks like it will take up 2 slots (the fan is very large). I only have 1 available on the Zotac Ion.

Hi

The XFX version looks like a single slot

RON

From what I gather the DVi outputs dont pass audio.
But what about the Display port? Reason being I want to run another screen in another room. My plan is to use a display port to hdmi adapter and the hdmi lead to the next room. Hdmi lead will be about 8m long.
I have a splitter but thats just sucking more power and would rather save the juice (and some trees):thumbsup:

Mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow (they are in stock now). Just hope Arcsoft release the TMT3 patch soon :smashin:

What is the fan noise like on the 5670 range of cards in general? I read a review of the Sapphire one and they said it was pretty damn quiet. It looks like there are no passive ones around, any chance of these being released?

Mine arrives from Amazon tomorrow (they are in stock now). Just hope Arcsoft release the TMT3 patch soon

Let us know how it performs. I haven't got round to ordering mine yet

Installed a Sapphire 5670 last night. It does take up 2 slots, it is very quiet. On my current setup, using the newest builds of MPC-HC and ffdshow it doesn't bitstream HD audio in XP Home ....:rolleyes: Win7 upgrade on it's way to hopefully nail this down once and for all :smashin:

Let us know how it performs. I haven't got round to ordering mine yet

Will do, I'm running MyMovies\TMT3 with full BD rips to ISO's so probably wont install it until the TMT3 patch arrives though. Its the bitsreaming I'm after

Deciced not to wait for the patch and did my install yesterday. Like all my Win7 64 ATI installs I only ended up with stereo sound and no ATI HDMI driver at first. But an uninstall\reinstall on custom fixed it. Still no idea why that happens !

Picture quality is much better tham my old ati 3xx card, even my wife commented when we watched a BD on the PJ last night. Everyhing just seems so much sharper. Sounds was good, but still over LPCM in TMT3. I dont have PDVD9 Ultra to test with

Another bonus for me was not having to use Reclock to get stutter free play. I set my refresh at 23 and Reclock reported 23.976, give that I turned off Reclock and it ran as smooth as anything :smashin:

The Sapphire has the arctic cooler fan and its very quiet. Couldnt hear it at all, although my HTPC is behind my AV rack

Overall I'm very impressed for £62 :thumbsup:

installed windows 7 last night and after an initial struggle to work out what the hell was going on (having come from XP and never having used Vista) I have started davebryce's guide. I now have working DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstreaming from the 5670 through MPC-HC and ffdshow (both latest builds as of 31/01)...:smashin:

I had a silent 4550 and it sounds no difference to me under normal viewing conditions - but then I've got kids so the house is never quiet...it is a quiet fan though especially under HTPC use as it isn't stressing the card at all...

I had a silent 4550 and it sounds no difference to me under normal viewing conditions - but then I've got kids so the house is never quiet...it is a quiet fan though especially under HTPC use as it isn't stressing the card at all...

Ordered one as it is half price of passive 5750

Hi

Im also just about to start a HTPC build. I was originally going to go with a GTS240 graphics paired with a Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 for TrueHD audio. Would I be right in thinking the 5670 would 'kill two birds with one stone'?

Would the sound quality be the same as it is just passing the audio to the receiver?

thanks

Hi

Im also just about to start a HTPC build. I was originally going to go with a GTS240 graphics paired with a Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 for TrueHD audio. Would I be right in thinking the 5670 would 'kill two birds with one stone'?

Would the sound quality be the same as it is just passing the audio to the receiver?

thanks

Yes and Yes :smashin:

Took delivery of the Sapphire 512MB 5670 this morning and now have by Bluray MKVs bitstreaming HD audio to my receiver - sweet! I was using onboard ATI HD3200 before and can't notice any difference in noise levels from my HTPC - buy, buy, buy!:clap:

Took delivery of the Sapphire 512MB 5670 this morning and now have by Bluray MKVs bitstreaming HD audio to my receiver - sweet! I was using onboard ATI HD3200 before and can't notice any difference in noise levels from my HTPC - buy, buy, buy!:clap:

Nice to hear it's working quietly. Did you notice any image quality differences between them?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom