Do all SOURCES send audio to Digital Optical Out?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by essooil, Aug 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. essooil

essooil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an LG 47LM670T.

This has a Headphone out jack that sends all audio that would usually come out of the speakers to the headphones (obviously). This means it does not matter what source I'm using e.g. my Sky box on HDMI1 or my PS3 on HDMI 2 or even watching ordinary TV via the UHF aerial - I can hear all of them using my headphones via the headphone out jack.

However, my wireless headphones sound rubbish using the headphone jack. My previous TV had RCA phono out which my wireless headphones loved.

I'm thinking about getting a SPDIF Digital to Analog Audio Converter so I once again get a RCA phono out for my headphones.

Question: Will all of the various SOURCES on my LG 47LM670T send audio to Digital Optical Out?

e.g. I have an old video player connected to the SCART adapter, my Sky box is on HDMI1, my PS3 is on HDMI 2, I sometiems watch ordinary TV via the UHF aerial.

The LG 47LM670T lets me change the audio out to PCM, which I've read might be required to do this.

Does any one know for sure if all sources always output something to the SPDIF Digital out port?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    It depends on the TV.

The vast majority send only internal tuner audio data out over the spdif output , some will output anything connected to the TV.

So it is not a given that all things connected to the TV will also have an output on the spdif line , the only way to find out for sure to find out what comes out over this line is to download the manual and see. Its different for nearly all TV's.

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    In my experience the opposite is true...the vast majority of modern sets will output audio via SPDIF from all input sources as well as the tuner.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Define modern ?

I have two panasonics and a samsung in the house , the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 5 , and none of them output anything other than tuner content over spdif.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,534
    All I can say is that my day to day job involves fitting equipment to all makes/models of TVs in people's homes which requires finding an audio output on the set which gives output from the tuner and all inputs...if there's a pair of audio out Phono sockets or a headphone socket which doesn't mute the speakers, great...if not I need to look for digital coax or optical out and I can honestly say I haven't come across any that output tuner only.

6. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly