• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

do all sky hd boxes have a RF2 for use with magic eye?

Fibretear

Looks like i am going to have to upgrade from an old standard box to sky HD as the old one hs died and the pricing structure (much as I am not happy about it) pretty much dictates that I upgrade to sky HD.

I use the RF2 with magic eye to a tv in the bedroom, do all sky hd boxes have this function? Is there anything I should know before I get it installed?

Thanks

G

Fibretear

yesterday I had the intention of getting a sky+ box, but things have moved on, I have heard lots of stories about problems watch tv via RF on an HD box so decided to ask in the sky HD forum instead.

StevieBuck

the HD box has this function,you may need to enable it in the setup menu though.

In the hidden installer's menu that is, just to clarify.

When the installer arrives to install your HD box, they *should* set up everything so it works exactly as before i.e enable the RF 2 output power so a magic eye will work, and setup the RF output to the same channel as before.

This isn't always the case though, as the installers who put in Sky+HD to my folks' house didn't check the RF output channel leaving them without Sky on the other TVs around the house until I changed it back.

One thing I've noticed is that the picture quality on the other TVs around the house over RF isn't as good compared to their old standard Sky box - even after trying out different RF channels. Some other users have posted on here saying the RF output on HD boxes in general aren't as good as those found on other boxes.

BrianMc

One thing I've noticed is that the picture quality on the other TVs around the house over RF isn't as good compared to their old standard Sky box - even after trying out different RF channels. Some other users have posted on here saying the RF output on HD boxes in general aren't as good as those found on other boxes.
Zero difference on my Thomson HD vs my old standard Sky box! Might be manufacturer dependent!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom