1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all SACD/DVD-Audio compatible players operate like this?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cerebros, May 4, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I've got the Pioneer 656A and naturally I'm playing a few SACD's and DVD-A's through it. I've now finally got round to digging out a spare cable so I can connect the 2-channel analogue outs (primarily so I can compare the CD performance of the 656A against my Yamaha RX-V2095's DAC's), I've discovered that in order to listen to the 2-channel mixes on SACD or DVD-A discs, I have to go all the way into the players set-up menus and switch the speaker set-up from 5.1 to 2 channel, otherwise the 2-channel output just outputs the front L/R of the 5.1 audio track.

Now can someone tell me:
    a) Is this the same on all current players
    b) Is there any reason why they couldn't have provided a button on the remote to toggle between 5.1 and 2 channel modes?

Needless to say it's a bit of a pain to go through if you fancy listening to the stereo version, or need to switch to 2-channel to listen through headphones.

Thnx

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My Philips DVD-963SA and Denon DVD-3800 do as you would prefer.

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Correct me if I'm wrong (feeling a bit too lazy to go check the websites right now), but these don't do both SACD & DVD-A, only one or the other?

To be honest, I'm going to try and hold off replacing the 656A until i can also upgrade my amp as well, so i can (hopefully) buy units equiped with firewire to cut down on cabling spaghetti, but getting a deck that operates in the way I've describeb will be a priority...

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    With DVD-A it's down to the menu's of the disk weather a multi-channel or 2channel version plays - well the few DVD-A I've seen are like this.

With SACD ... yes you do have to go through the menu's to get the 2ch version ... and yes I agree a button to get to 2ch would be good.

BTW ... if the 656sa is the same at the 757ai, then the 2ch output on it gives the same signal as the front L/R of the multi-channel output so can just use those with CD into the multi-channel input of your amp ... the other 4 channels will have no signal when playing a stereo disk (SACD or CD, etc)

And yes ... you're right the Phillips only does SACD and the Denon only does DVD-A. Denon's new 3900 will do both though.

Vikki

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Doh! Had forgotten that the DVD-A discs have menus - the only one I've been playing with any regularity, Automatic for the People, goes straight into the tracks rather than the menu (becuase of one of the options in set-up menu i believe).

Still annoying with SACD though...

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't know whether DVD-A is the same,though I would assume it is,but with Dolby Digital 5.1,I just select the effect off button on my amp or change the audio stream from the DVD remote,without going through the set-up menus.

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    NO, i've tried using the Audio button on the remote, but it does diddly under SACD and DVD-A.

I _think_ it's because unlike DVD-Video, you're not switching between audio formats encoded in the data stream, you have to switch to a different area of the disc (at least if what I've read about DVD-A & SACD is correcT) to play the different sound format.

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What about at the amp end,doesn't DVD-A down mix to stereo like DD 5.1?

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No amps (in my price range anyway) down-mix DVD-A - there just aren't many, other than expensive high-end units that have the signal fed to them via proprietory digital links, that can decode it.

My own amp won't perform any processing (be it down-mixing or DSP modes) on what get's fed into its analogue 5.1 channel input.

Don't know if this is particular to my amp (Yamaha RX-V2095) or AV amps in general (since this is the only AV amp i've ever owned, I can't say for definite either way).

But as I say, have realised I can select the 2 channel version on a DVD-A from the disc menu (though annoyingly not via the Audio button, although as I've said previously, I think that might be because the different audio formats are in different physical areas of the disc), it's just SACD that's proving to be the sticking point

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You should get 2 channels if it's connected up via analogue stereo phono outs from the DVD player to the amp and just select that source.

With my Yamaha E800 Processor,I just select affect off (DD off) to get stereo down from 5.1,or select CD for the analogue in feed.