Do all Plasmas make a buzzing sound?

Adrian007

Standard Member
I had a couple of plasma screens a few years ago and just went to my mates to see his new LG 50" Plasma, and all of them made/make a buzzing sound.

I currently have an LCD but hate the poor black levels and was thinking maybe its time time to switch back to plasma, but I remember the buzzing drove me crazy before so I am trying to find out if all the modern day screens still make this noise?

I am probably looking at getting a Pani PX70.

Medusa

Banned
I had a couple of plasma screens a few years ago and just went to my mates to see his new LG 50" Plasma, and all of them made/make a buzzing sound.

I currently have an LCD but hate the poor black levels and was thinking maybe its time time to switch back to plasma, but I remember the buzzing drove me crazy before so I am trying to find out if all the modern day screens still make this noise?

Yes!They will all BUZZ as they Age.:eek:
There are several tansformers and chokes fitted in them,which are busy working to there limit.:devil:

Cyril

Yes!They will all BUZZ as they Age.:eek:
There are several tansformers and chokes fitted in them,which are busy working to there limit.:devil:

I think the difference is that cheaper plasmas buzz when new, and more expensive ones might buzz when they get several years old.

My less than 1 year old Fujitsu makes a very faint hum from the fans which I can only hear if everything is COMPLETELY silent and i am sitting very close to it. No buzzing though.

H

huckle

Funny you mention that.. I've been hunting around looking at Plasma's and LCD's and yes, i could hear buzzing from all the plasma's I looked at. It was really only apparent when i was up close looking at the connectors on the rear though (although this was in a fairly busy store) One of the pioneer Plasma sets I looked at was especially noisy. I couldn't hear any noise at all from the LCD screens.
Definitely not getting a plasma screen, with buzzing power supplies and multiple cooling fans.. that was certainly enough to put me off and steer me in the direction of an LCD.

setjellyfish

Mine does (TH37PX60) when the screen is very white, I think it's due to the screen having to draw a lot of current when there is lots of white and the inductors on the display driver start to buzz a bit. It doesn't really notice much.

RayP

Funny you mention that.. I've been hunting around looking at Plasma's and LCD's and yes, i could hear buzzing from all the plasma's I looked at. It was really only apparent when i was up close looking at the connectors on the rear though (although this was in a fairly busy store) One of the pioneer Plasma sets I looked at was especially noisy. I couldn't hear any noise at all from the LCD screens.
Definitely not getting a plasma screen, with buzzing power supplies and multiple cooling fans.. that was certainly enough to put me off and steer me in the direction of an LCD.

My PH9 doesn't buzz and apart from the wooshing of the fans for a second or two at startup it's completely silent. Well silent in the respect that even on the quietest secions of a film I don't hear anything from the plasma. Maybe you're not listening to the right plasmas? ;)

geowars2

my px60 has buzzed from day 1 and its not exactly quiet either (you can hear it above the sound sometimes)

although thats probably just me being more sensitive to the buzz sound, other people are different and won't hear it as well

Cyril

Presumably you've been looking at cheaper plasma TVs as the more pricey Panasonic and Fujitsu panels (no tuner models) don't buzz at all. The fans are very very quiet.

T

TheAllenFamily

I had a PX60 and it drove my wife mad. There were two fans at the top rear of the unit and they buzzed like mad. A replacement PX60 shared the same problem.

JL then replaced with a PX70 and the PX70 is fantastically QUIET. Top marks to JL for sorting it out:clap: :smashin:

Mike999

My Pioneer 507XD has been completely silent since day 1.

TranceFan

Presumably you've been looking at cheaper plasma TVs as the more pricey Panasonic and Fujitsu panels (no tuner models) don't buzz at all. The fans are very very quiet.

This isnt true. My Fujitsu 58 series buzzes, quite annoying in quiet sections of films.

chambeaj

Anyone who thinks a Fujitsu 58 series is quiet needs their ears testing. Its by far the worst panel I've encountered for panel buzz. Poor quality fans (Viatnamise brand) as well which adds to the annoyance created by the coils or/and PSU.

Whats worse is that the panel buzz is constant.

The Panasonic PH9 in comparison is really quiet. Only buzz's slightly during very high contrast scenes and the fans are much smoother/quieter. All in all the PH9 is virtually silent.

The Pioneer seems a mixed bag. One unit I saw was a buzzer whilst another was quiet from a normal viewing distance. With the former unit it may simply be because the unit was new out of the box and thus the settings (i.e. power save etc.) were not optimised + panels coils/PSU needed time to break in.

all imho

dugee

Standard Member
The panny px70 I have is very very quiet thats after having the hitachi 9700 mind you.
Dug

Medusa

Banned
I would get it replaced or looked at. My Fujitsu doesn't.

At least to my ears (I'm not young anymore so can't hear top frequencies -YMMV).

I think it's been badged its a SONY inside thats why you can't hear it.:devil:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Helicon

Banned
Anyone who thinks a Fujitsu 58 series is quiet needs their ears testing. Its by far the worst panel I've encountered for panel buzz. Poor quality fans (Viatnamise brand) as well which adds to the annoyance created by the coils or/and PSU.

Whats worse is that the panel buzz is constant.
I personally don't find the Fujitsu 58 series plasmas noisy at all, and my hearing is very good.

MartinCollinson

I have the Pioneer 507XD - my panel is silent and I mean silent. Not a buzz, squeak or squeal.

g40steve

I had a PX60 and it drove my wife mad. There were two fans at the top rear of the unit and they buzzed like mad. A replacement PX60 shared the same problem.

JL then replaced with a PX70 and the PX70 is fantastically QUIET. Top marks to JL for sorting it out:clap: :smashin:

Same here, new px70 should be with me tues.

The 60 was awful..................buzzed that loud it could be heard from 12 feet away & that was the second one:mad:

Thanks to JL, i've got a new one coming.

Do not accept excuses, if it buzzes loudly (not when you put your head close to it) from normal veiwing distances, get it changed.

12 promises

sitting right now ,house deathly quiet..........i can hear the clocks ticking.
what i cant hear is any noise whatsoever from my 3 year old hitachi 42pd5200.:thumbsup:

mstodge

My Pioneer 507Xd has just started to buzz over the last 2 days. I can hear it from 12 feet away. Can they refuse to replace it? as it is getting very annoying now. If i put it on power save 1 its not that bad, but still audible.
I got it from currys digital just before christmas 06.

Thanks
Mark.

jambo98

Standard Member
I don't know about all Plasmas making a buzzing sound but I bought a Samsung PS42Q7HDX 3 weeks ago and noticed buzzing from it almost immediately. On contacting Samsung they only classify it as a fault when you can hear the buzzing with the sound set at 30 or above, fortunately for me they classified it as a fault and I am waiting for delivery of a Samsung PS42Q97HDX. I would like to add that if you think there is a fault with your Plasma make a complaint immediately, you have 28 days from date of purchase to request a replacement. Hope this helps.

senwar

Standard Member
Sorry to re-open this thread but I've just got a PS42Q97HDX and can also hear the buzzing (new TV been on an hour)

Can hear it pretty bad on HD channels due to the lower sound.

Does this go away with use or is it constant? Don't think I can live with it if so.

pungent1

My Panasonic TH50PX600 was silent when new, now a few months down the road you can hear a faint buzz when the screen goes white but its not worth scrapping the screen for,

My Dad got a Samsung Plasma and that was awful for buzzing! drove everyone mad, thankfully he's into the video & TV trade so got it replaced twice thinking it was a problem with the set itself, wrong! they all had a loud BUZZ!! :eek:

Which goes to show its not just the Plasma technology to blame but who makes them :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components