Do all plasma's buzz?

Matt.Wild

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my Pansonic 42U10B witha a Panasonic 42S11B. The former buzzed really loudly and replaced.

This one doesn't buzz as much but its still there! :mad:

Is there anything that can be done or is it a)thats what plasma's do or b)i've been unlucky and need it swapping out?

So hacked off! Tempted to go with a LCD (sorry for mentioning that :D ) so I know it'll run silently!

Just replaced my Pansonic 42U10B witha a Panasonic 42S11B. The former buzzed really loudly and replaced.

Is there anything that can be done or is it a)thats what plasma's do or b)i've been unlucky and need it swapping out?

So hacked off! Tempted to go with a LCD (sorry for mentioning that :D ) so I know it'll run silently!

I've just placed my left lug on the top of my Panasonic TX-P37X10 and can honestly say that I cannot hear any buzzing whatsoever (and I don't have any hearing difficulties at all!).

I have had 4 G10s all of which buzzed so loudly they could be heard more than 10' away!

Did you swap them out or?

My 5090 buzzes in non power saving mode with it enabled it's gone.

No difference either way :(

Must be a fly stuck in your ear!:rotfl:

No, seriously, I noticed this on a previous Pana'(PH9)commercial panel. I did have to be in certain position to hear it though. On the plus side, the fans were very quiet unlike the Fuji I've got now. You can't win..:rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the buzzing is somekind of a Hz buzz?What I mean is, it only happens when the display is operating in a certain scanning/refresh/Hz frequency...:rolleyes:

Thats correct. And it drives me nuts :censored::censored::censored:

My 42" X10 doesn't buzz on any images and is sat in front of a painted plastered wall in an echoey room! (we're still decorating). I know the G10 has fans which might make more noise. There are some posts on buzzing plasmas and some of them suggest that cloth wall hangings behind the set can dampen the reflected buzzes from hard walls. I was worried about my plasma given the rom conditions as stated above but either I've been lucky or the X10 is a quiet set. Put it this way I've been listening for a buzz and have found out that the CD deck hums but everything else is silent!

Thanks for that. Its like a light hzzzzz that appears on bright images or white backgrounds. Don't know if its the fact i've picked up on it and it bothers now like the old set. Oh well, another PDP to replace :mad:

509 no,427 only on 75hrz which i never use.:smashin:

I can hear the fan from my viewing distance (not the buzz). Only if the room is dead dead quiet though - its quite a nice noise actually!

I can hear a slight buzz if I get close to the TV and listen out for it - but Im pretty sure my old PX60 was the same and my old CRT before that to be honest.

Hi

As jimi says

You will find that ALL plasmas will buzz to a lesser or greater extent when trying to produce a white image because the pixels are working at thier hardest ie fully on.

You may or may not hear this because more than likely the buzzing will radiate from the rear of the panel

regards

The problem was, watching family guy or simpsons it buzz's for the entire program. Which ain't no way to be!

I sent back the Samsung plasma as it buzzing changed relative to contrast/white level on screen. This was far more annoying than the constant CRT buzz or LCD inverter hum. The pioneer buzzes quite loudly in energy saving off but at least it's constant. I'm pretty close so it would be quite annoying. Luckly with power saving on it's virtually silent, probably as quiet as as 25" CRT.

Did you swap them out or?

I had various issues with all of them. The final one and the one that made me give up with the G10 was that it had several dead pixels.

In honesty, the buzz from all of them were enough to make me take them back.

I sent back the Samsung plasma as it buzzing changed relative to contrast/white level on screen. This was far more annoying than the constant CRT buzz or LCD inverter hum. The pioneer buzzes quite loudly in energy saving off but at least it's constant. I'm pretty close so it would be quite annoying. Luckly with power saving on it's virtually silent, probably as quiet as as 25" CRT.

Thats just it. The varying levels - if it was consistant it wouldn't bother at all. But its none stop, up, down, up, down.

If it wouldnt cost me £600 i'd be smashing it up by now :rotfl:

The problem was, watching family guy or simpsons it buzz's for the entire program. Which ain't no way to be!

You can hear the buzzing with the sound on?! :eek: That doesnt sound right to me!

Like I said earlier, if the room is totally quiet I can hear the fan - but not the buzzing. And thats from 7ft away.

I have A Pioneer 5090 and it does buzz, I since viewed three 5090's and a krp from the shop that sold me the 5090 and they were all the same.My parents have a 4 series sammy plasma and it also buzzes. I believe buzzing is like phosphor trailing in that some people are more susceptible to it than others.your hearing simply is able to pick that frequency up.
My Solution which wasn't ideal but worked was to wallmount the tv 1 foot above headheight from my seating posistion as the panel buzz was emmited from the centre of the screen.
I like LCD myself but not quite as much as plasma and there is plenty of image problems to be considered with lcd. i.e clouding backlight bleed, poor viewing angles. there is solutions to plasma buzz but the picture issues with lcd are likely to be present in every lcd tv you buy to some extent, I've had five lcd's in the past 6 years and only one was relatively free from the problems i've listed

I think all electronic equipments when working buzz, but if its too loud then there has to be some problem. Maybe 1080p sets buzz and fans woosh more. I have a 720p panasonic and it does not buzz with no volume and it does not have a fan. My PS3/external digibox is louder than my plasma.

My LG is totally silent, at all frequencies. Im very sensitive to noise i even moved my fish tank out of my room because i could hear the buzz from the internal filter, which most people couldn't hear at all.

most of the time the buzzing is caused from the frequency of the smps being amplified by the pdp, i have quitend some down befor by putting rubber washers either side of the psu & sustain boards screws and running separate earths between the boards and the mounting posts.

Mine makes no noise at all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom