• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do all LG TVs have PC Mode?

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Hi all, do all LG TVs have exactly the same version of TV mode as an input option?

My old LG 43" (bought in 2016) needs replacing and I see my new Hitachi doesn't have PC mode as an option :(

Thanks in advance.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The PC should be just another input, I have just plugged into a few TVs over the years.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
The PC should be just another input, I have just plugged into a few TVs over the years.
Thanks for reply.
I have an odd issue though, I find that if I plug into my LG and dont select TV mode, the image is a little too sharp for me and some of my older movies are way too pixelated or grainy. Once I select TV mode the image clears up. The Hitachi has no TV mode (only GAME mode which doesn't make any difference). I know I have an odd request :(

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
What resolution is the new TV and what resolution is the PC using?
This sounds like it may be a scaling issue.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
My PC is 1920x1280

Hitachi 43HE4005 TV is Full HD, 1920 x 1080

I did get a scaling issue when I first plugged it in where the desktop was slightly off the screen, I changed the settings in the TV and it was fine but image was still very sharp and colours washed out.

RGB setting on PC is Limited Range.

Thx again.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Have to say I have to say, never seen Limited Range on a PC.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Never seen on a PC.
The only possibility I can think of is the graphics in the PC cannot produce full 14 bit colour at 1920*1080 and uses a limited pallet of colours which uses less graphics memory.
Was the previous TV 1920x1080?

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Yes, I have switched back to my original LG which is 1920x1080 60hz.

The Hitachi has 2 HDMI inputs but then a VGA input which is marked VGA/PC, this quality is unacceptable for me though.

My hope is that I will get a new LG TV and it will be exactly like when I got my old LG. I plug in HDMI, the colours are washed out until I select PC Mode on the TV and then it appears correctly.

As I use the PC for movies I also found this: Your streaming services and Blu-rays carry content that's nearly always mastered in limited RGB. Full RGB uses the full range and is ideal for PC use. Limited RGB uses the 16-235 range and is ideal for movies and TV.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Try one of the HDMI connections.
Worth a go.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Try one of the HDMI connections.
Worth a go.
Oh I did, neither produced an acceptable image. Both images looked washed out like my LG until it is put in PC Mode but the Hitachi doesn't have the PC Mode option. I tried every setting on the Hitachi but nothing made the image better.

Maybe if I rephrase the question for LG owners, if you select input HDMI is there then an additional option on that input to choose PC?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
BTW, the 16-235 range is related to how analogue TV was broadcast.
The line/frame synchronisation was in the 0-15 range and there could be saturated video above 236.

next010

Distinguished Member
Does your GPU have a YUV output mode in its settings Intel, AMD and Nvidia usually do, some TV's process YUV a little better.

It's buried away in the Intel GPU control panel, in the AMD/nvidia go to their resolutions section and override the default RGB output then select 8-bit YUV/YCC 444.

Your LG & Hitachi TV's HDMI black level should be on low/limited 16-235 to match the YUV, don't use PC/game mode set the TV to movie mode or something like that.

Also dont use any 0-255 to 16-235 converters in media playback software (e.g. Kodi) as the GPU is alreading doing the YUV conversion at the system wide level and the OS/software is unaware.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Does your GPU have a YUV output mode in its settings Intel, AMD and Nvidia usually do, some TV's process YUV a little better.

It's buried away in the Intel GPU control panel, in the AMD/nvidia go to their resolutions section and override the default RGB output then select 8-bit YUV/YCC 444.

Your LG & Hitachi TV's HDMI black level should be on low/limited 16-235 to match the YUV, don't use PC/game mode set the TV to movie mode or something like that.

Also dont use any 0-255 to 16-235 converters in media playback software (e.g. Kodi) as the GPU is alreading doing the YUV conversion at the system wide level and the OS/software is unaware.
Thanks Next010. Yes I tried every setting there is on my NVidia, I read before about changing the settings, it didn't do a thing to help the image on the (now returned to shop) Hitachi.

I do use KODI and the settings don't seem to make any difference, only changes in Windows 10 Display Settings seem to make a difference.

I have gone back to my broken LG (bottom of screen is dying) and I think I will look for a new LG to replace the broken one.

I mentioned on another thread that everything seems to come down to the selection of PC in the LG Input Settings( see image below), without PC selected the image is washed out and jagged.
IMG_20200913_193219119 (1).jpg

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks Next010. Yes I tried every setting there is on my NVidia, I read before about changing the settings, it didn't do a thing to help the image on the (now returned to shop) Hitachi.

I do use KODI and the settings don't seem to make any difference, only changes in Windows 10 Display Settings seem to make a difference.

I have gone back to my broken LG (bottom of screen is dying) and I think I will look for a new LG to replace the broken one.

I mentioned on another thread that everything seems to come down to the selection of PC in the LG Input Settings( see image below), without PC selected the image is washed out and jagged.

The PC mode is a RGB, chroma 444, 0-255 which is what PC's output by default.

TV's picture presets typically have a default of YUV or RGB, chroma 422, 16-235 for AV devices.

If your PC is set to RGB Limited or YUV output in NV control panel it should not be washed out if TV is on 16-236 (low/limited) and using a cinema/movie picture preset.

You also must remove the PC mode label on the HDMI to disable the PC mode as it will override whatever AV picture mode like cinema that you select.

As for the jagged look that is perhaps the lack of chroma 444 which will make PC desktop text harder to read, if your only using it for movie playback then it isnt usually a problem but if you are then you should seek a display that has a PC mode with chroma 444 support, look at rtings reviews they mention it under the supported resolution section.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
The PC mode is a RGB, chroma 444, 0-255 which is what PC's output by default.

TV's picture presets typically have a default of YUV or RGB, chroma 422, 16-235 for AV devices.

If your PC is set to RGB Limited or YUV output in NV control panel it should not be washed out if TV is on 16-236 (low/limited) and using a cinema/movie picture preset.

You also must remove the PC mode label on the HDMI to disable the PC mode as it will override whatever AV picture mode like cinema that you select.

As for the jagged look that is perhaps the lack of chroma 444 which will make PC desktop text harder to read, if your only using it for movie playback then it isnt usually a problem but if you are then you should seek a display that has a PC mode with chroma 444 support, look at rtings reviews they mention it under the supported resolution section.

Thanks again for all your help, the Hitachi really lacked settings compared to the LG and it was only after trying every option in the TV settings that I gave up and began changing my PC settings (which were and are fine on my old LG). I will shop for a new 43" LG, it seems they are all smart now, don't really need that but anyway :D

Just as a final example, here is my LG displaying KODI with/without PC mode enabled, notice the jagged edges on the text, this also affects the way videos play and makes them look washed out.

IMG_20200915_145152053.jpg

IMG_20200915_145122094.jpg

next010

Distinguished Member
Something strange is going on if it makes the videos washed out if on RGB Low or YCC 444 in Nvidia control panel, that part I cant understand.

Is the TV's HDMI black level also set to low to match ?

On the off chance try selecting YCC 422 in NV control panel instead of 444 with PC mode disabled, if there's no difference all you got me stumped as that is basically what a Blu-ray disc player outputs.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Black level was set to AUTO, I switched it to LOW and it went really dark but no change in image quality that I could see.

I set the YCC 422 and the image looked worse, text looked like a VGA low res input, I then turned off PC mode and it looked even worse. I learned from tweaking the NVidia Control Panel while trying to sort out the Hitach that it is best left to Default Colour Settings.

Thanks again for all your help and patience, really. I will start a new thread here on the forums simply asking LG owners if they have the same menu setup as I have on my (bought in) 2016 model and if they say they do then I shall assume that my PC will display correctly on that TV.

next010

Distinguished Member
Black level was set to AUTO, I switched it to LOW and it went really dark but no change in image quality that I could see.

I set the YCC 422 and the image looked worse, text looked like a VGA low res input, I then turned off PC mode and it looked even worse. I learned from tweaking the NVidia Control Panel while trying to sort out the Hitach that it is best left to Default Colour Settings.

Thanks again for all your help and patience, really. I will start a new thread here on the forums simply asking LG owners if they have the same menu setup as I have on my (bought in) 2016 model and if they say they do then I shall assume that my PC will display correctly on that TV.

Those auto modes can be unreliable.

The text degradation is definitely chroma 444 related so anything other than PC mode sending RGB/YCC 444 will not render text correctly. On your LG model its very noticeable but for other models it may not.

watcherdowatch1

Novice Member
Those auto modes can be unreliable.

The text degradation is definitely chroma 444 related so anything other than PC mode sending RGB/YCC 444 will not render text correctly. On your LG model its very noticeable but for other models it may not.

Yeah Text was the dead giveaway whenever I switched any settings, I was for a moment considering getting an HDMI to VGA converter for the Hitachi as it had a dedicated VGA/PC port but I am guessing it would have made the text terrible to read.
Anyways, thanks again Next010

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom