1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all lcd's run on 12v ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gadgey, Sep 2, 2004.

1. gadgey

gadgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a 15" or 17" lcd for my boat . Are they all 12v or do some have inbuilt ac adaptors? Don't want to buy one and find out it's ac!

Is there much difference in power consumption between brands?

Thanks for any help on these questions.

Last question , where can I find a bargain ? have been looking on ebay .....

2. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I may be missing something here but I would think all lcd's run on 240v ? Get an invertor (converts 12v to 240v). Sharp do a screen that runs off a battery, the LC-15L1E and has a wireless 802.11b connection to the tuner box but this will run off 240v I guess. This screen is only 4:3.

3. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Relisys runs on 12v. It comes with a separate transformer. I assume most smaller LCDs work this way due to the portable nature of them. You may need to get something to manage the quality of the 12v from your boat.

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Some slightly larger screens run on 24V but most 15" & 17" screens run from a 12V separate powers supply as most of them don't have room internally for the power supply components.

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The LCD panels themselves and the electronics on the H&V PCB's operate at voltages between 5 and 12v. The backlight is supplied several thousand volts from the inverter board which converts the low voltage DC into high voltage AC for the flourescent tube.

6. Thrutch

Thrutch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you learn something new everyday ! Going to read my IIYAMA manual now !

So are you saying you plug the LCD into the mains, it goes through the transformer convert to 12v and then goes through an inverter for the backlight ?

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, even if you plug 240v into the unit, the internal PSU just bumps it down to a 12v feed anyway. That 12v feeds all your electronics, and is also the source voltage for the inveter. Then the inverter board ramps it up to maybe 20,000 volts. I've been stung a few times by inverter boards and it's not nice. :)