Do all HDMI cables support 1080p?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Neo211187, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Neo211187

Neo211187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do all HDMI cables support 1080p?

or are there limits on some cables? i.e. do some cables only support 1080i or 720p?

Thanks!:lease:

2. Motion17

Motion17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i would think, as they are digital, that they would all support 1080p :DDont be conned into buying a special top end (1080p) specific one as there all as good as eachother unless your running long distances that is.

Motion

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,122
    No they don't. Most should, but I have seen ones that can't do 720p without sparklies due to not enough bandwidth. Make sure the specs mention 1080p then if it doesn't, it can be returned. They still shouldn't cost much though.

Just becuase its digital, it doesn't mean necessarily it is a "it works or doesn't work" scenario. I tested twelve cables a while ago and three didn't do 1080p while two couldn't even do 720p.

4. Motion17

Motion17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wow sorry about that, you learn something new everyday eh! thanks for putting me straight!!

Motion

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,122

Well, most still should be ok. I have had ebay ones that would only do SD/576. The picture was perfectly ok at that resolution and no different to the more expensive ones I had. It is not just bandwidth but also how well the cable is made. It is best to be safe and make sure a cable has 1080p in its specs when buying it then you got some comeback.

The test I did were from ebay ones that cost 1p ! to a borrowed £50 one. I would say don't spend more than £10 on a 1.5m cable and around £20-£30 for 10m or more.

I also spent £15 on a 1.5m HDMI to DVI which worked fine up to 1080p. They tend to be more money that a HDMI to HDMI one.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    I bought one off Play.com for the PS3 and even though they advertised it as 1080p capable it couldn't do it. I just get a load of interference when I switch to 1080p. Can anyone recommend a cheapish cable that they know does do 1080p?

7. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A cable which doesn't have enough bandwidth? :rolleyes: A simple network FTP cable, which is as thin or thinner than a HDMI cable, can transfer 1Gb/s or even more data (i'm guessing here but it's much more than the data transfer of a 1080p BR disc).

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Just got a Sky HD box today and cheap lead that comes with that does 1080p where as the apparantly 1080p capable lead I got from Play.com does not. It does carry 1080i though and as Sky HD doesn't do 1080p i'm using the Play lead with that and the SkyHD lead with my PS3. It's odd though as if you were to look at the two leads you'd think that the Play lead would easy be the one to do 1080p as it's thicker and looks a lot more expensive (even though it was only a tenner).

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Though it might be that you just had a duff instance of that Play cable. Others report it works fine at 1080p. You are probably justified in sending it back.

That's one thing that is perhaps more likely with cheaper cables. Poorer quality control, and individual cables are not tested.

10. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Come on, name names.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,333
    Hello CAS FAN

Extruding a 'good looking' cable is far easier than extruding a well engineered cable – plus its amazing how good a half a nats hair width of 'Gold' Spray on can look on the outer shield of an HDMI Plug!!!

Best regards

Joe

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    Very true Joe. The Play one was pretty cheap (£9.99) and although it doesn't do what it's supposed to (i.e. 1080p) it'll do for my Sky HD box as it does 1080i well. For the price I paid it's hardly worth the effort in sending it back especially as it's not useless as I can still use it for none 1080p applications.

13. Yanners

Yanners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Bengbeng as far as I am aware a 720p/1080i signal requies the cable to be capable of a transfer rate of around 2.23Gps and that 1080p (BR disc) of around 4.4Gps, the hdmi 1.3 versions requires a bandwidth of 10.2Gps to allows for higher colour bits etc that is in the hdmi 1.3 spec. I have also seen Monster cables from the m series the 850 and 1000 that exceed this 1.3 spec which I suspect would be great for people needing long hdmi runs and not wondering if their cable is good enough. I bought a 10m hdmi 2 years ago but this is only capable of 720p and now having changed my room around need a 6m cable but need to have full 1080p, I am thinking about the monster cable although it is expensive. Anyway that is as much as I know........

14. blurredvision

blurredvision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

Could you tell me which cable it was that you bought. I just bought the 'Professional Quality HDMI v1.3 Cable 1.2M' specifically for my PS3. I hope its not the same one!

I didn't go the the Linx one as they look like the same cable (except one is branded and therefore £5ish extra) also one of the customer reviews complained about fitting issues.

Thanks for your feedback.

PS - afraid I can't help you with a suggestion - I just read a 30page thread on hdmi expensive vs cheap. Then got fed up and ordered the one off play. I've seen a few ppl on the forum recommend those (above). Originally though I was going to pay £50 for a QED Qunex!

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    It was this one LINK.

I think I probably just got a faulty lead. It works upto 1080i so it does fine for my Sky HD.

16. blurredvision

blurredvision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the reply.

I think the 'Professional HDMI' on play is (well looks) as if it is the same cable. I will post my findings once I get it.

I just hope my PS3 (Jap) will play Bluray in colour on HDMI - currently green screen on scart and poo quality on RGB...

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,371
    No worries. My PS3 is now outputting in full 1080p to my 1080p display via my SkyHD HDMI lead and Blu Rays look stunning! The green screen thing is definately an RGB scart thing (the PS2 also had this) and a HDMI lead will correct this and give you a fantastic full colour picture.