Do All Dvd Recorder's Record in 4.3 picture format ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SeeleyBooth, Sep 12, 2007.

1. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    hi guys as title say's really do all dvd recorder's record in 4.3 instead of 16.9 picture format if not which one do record in 16.9 cheers

2. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The biggest a standard definition TV picture can be is 720x576, approx 4:3.

No standard definition (SD) video is more than an aspect of 4:3.

SD 16:9 isn't really 16:9, it is known as anamorohic widescreen. Which means a 16:9 picture is squashed into the picture area of a 4:3 picture. Hence the need for the WSS (widescreen switching flag).

So no, no SD DVD Recorders record true 16:9.

True 16:9 is only used in high definition HD video.

Hope that helps.

3. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Don't think that's what he's asking. I think he wants to know which set-top DVD recorders pick up the widescreen flag when recording and store that setting on the disc, and will automatically play the discs back sending the widescreen flag to the TV, so that the TV auto-switches to wide, automatically stretching the anamorphically compressed picture back out to fit in a 16:9 screen.

4. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    yes they do but sometimes it depends on the media used. For example i have a panasonic recorder and if i use dvd-ram discs it works fine but if i use dvd-r it does not set the flag so it does not auto switch to widescreen you need to do it yourself. I am not sure if this is the case with the current crop of panny recorders as mine is a year or 2 old.

5. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    The current Panasonic EX77 transfers the widescreen flag to DVD-R perfectly as long as it has recorded it to the HDD correctly in the first place.

6. carl.waring

carl.waring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hello All! New guy here.

Just joined to ask a (hopefully) simple as I have become mightily confused in my search for a new budget DVD Recorder; £70-120 if possible. Doesn't have to be a new model!

My current setup is:
    - Panasonic CRT W/S TV
    - Tivo
    - Phlips DVDR70

They all get their signals through SCART from a Virgin Media Samsung STB.

The TV is kept in 4:3 mode but both the Tivo and Philips DVDR will switch to Wide-screen when required. I don't keep the TV in 'auto w/s' mode as I don't like (as in "hate with a passion") any type of distorted aspect ratio picture :D

As my DVDR has now gone faulty, I need a new one. I went and bought a Philips 3380 (stick with what you know, and I liked the one I had ;)).

However, when I set it up, it wouldn't switch to W/S :mad::(:confused: All I got was a squashed w/s picture in a 4:3 frame; if you see what I mean.

So I took it back. I managed to get a refund although it wasn't technically faulty as, according to the person I spoke to this is now how it's done; ie it's the TV that does the switching and not the DVD Recorder.

Is that right or is is, as I suspect, just BS; or maybe partial BS as maybe there are some manufacturers who implement it this way and not others.

All thoughts and comments welcome.

Thanks.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Welcome to the forum.

The history of the switch to widescreen is very messy... and most of the implementations still exist in the receiving domain: 4:3 sets with no switching / 4:3 sets with WS control / 16/9 sets with very limited switching control / 16:9 with dedicated buttons and many options. [ I should probably call them widescreen sets... They're quite often 15:9 ]

But there does seem to be a growing convention, that source devices have one control - designed in setup to be set to the type of screen connected and thereafter left alone and that all subsequent changes should me made in the display device ... as necessary, according to source material aspect.

8. carl.waring

carl.waring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks.

Which would be fine if the set I have switched correctly when set to auto mode. I want a 4:3 picture in 4:3, not zoomed or stretched. Unfortunately, my Panny (a TX-32PD30, btw) does the latter and not the former :(

As an alternative to the Philips, I was looking at a Samsung until I read the comments about them on here ;). Now I'm open to suggestions. LG? Sony?; their RDRGX350 looks nice!

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    The Sony over the LG anyday.

10. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    When you say the new Philips DVDR would not switch your TV to widescreen automatically, there are several things to consider. How is (was) the DVDR connected to the TV? Only scart will autoswitch, s-video, component and HDMI won't.

Even if your DVDR was connected to the TV using a fully wired scart, what were you playing back on the DVDR that you expected to switch to widescreen? Was it a commercially bought movie or programme that was definitely recorded in anamorphic widescreen, or was it a recording that you made yourself by just recording something from digital TV (Sky or Freeview) onto a blank disc?

If it was a commercial DVD, which should definitely have included the anamorphic widescreen switch, then yes, the signal sent from your DVDR to your TV via a fully wired scart cable should have made your TV automatically switch to 16:9, therefore stretching the picture out from the compressed 4:3 picture that you were watching into the widescreen picture that you were expecting. And if the DVDR is incapable of doing this then you were right to return it.

However, if it was a recording that you made yourself on a blank DVD then it is very likely that the screen will not automatically stretch itself out when it is played back. Many DVDRs will record a widescreen picture (in effect, the compressed picture that all Freeview and Sky boxes transmit when set to play in 16:9) but will not record the widescreen flag that goes with the picture - therefore, it is up to you to manually stretch the picture out yourself by changing the TV aspect ratio to 16:9.

Also, many DVDRs which do store the widescreen flag as well as recording the widescreen picture only record that flag once per DVD disc - on the first recording on the disc. So, if you were to record a 4:3 programme on the disc first, then record a widescreen movie next, the widescreen flag would still not be recorded on the disc, because the first recording on the disc is in 4:3; therefore the DVDR will still not send a message to your TV telling it that the transmission it is playing is in anamorphic widescreen even when playing the second recording on the disc, and you will have to manually switch it yourself.

As you can see, there are many things to consider before deciding that the DVDR is faulty. The problem could be with the DVDR, could be with the method of connecting it to the TV, could be with the scart cable not being fully wired, could be with the disc itself that you are trying to watch on your widescreen TV not having the widescreen flag stored on it, could be that either the TV or the DVDR are not set to automatic (TV) or 16:9 (DVD playback) aspect ratio in the first place, so will never switch.

I'm no great fan of Philips (most Forum members aren't) but I doubt that they would release a DVD player or recorder which was incapable of switching the TV's aspect ratio as long as it was connected to the TV using a method that was capable of passing the widescreen switch, was set up to output a 16:9 picture, and was playing a disc that had the widescreen switch recorded on it in the first place, and the TV was capable of picking up the switch and changing the aspect ratio automatically based on the switch it receives.

11. carl.waring

carl.waring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    SCART.

I wasn't actually playing anything. I was trying to record a W/S programme off my Tivo. However, the same happened when trying to record something direct from my Virgin Media TV picture through SCART; which worked perfectly well through the old DVDR. (If you see what I mean.)

I fiddled with all the connections; swapping them around to see if anything worked. It didn't

Yes, commercial DVDs switched okay.

Well it did with the old one.

This is my point exactly. Why is it that the newer technology isn't as good as the old technology in this case?

Other points noted with thanks.

12. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too hate distorted aspect ratio's so I keep my Panasonic TX-32PL1 CRT in 'Panasonic Auto' mode with a 4:3 default. 'Panasonic Auto' lets you use the coloured buttons to set the default mode for when no widescreen flag is received from an AV source to 4:3 or 16:9. So setting 'Panasonic Auto' to 4:3 means it will stay at 4:3 until a widescreen flag is received at which point it switches to 'WIDE' mode (the '16:9' label is only displayed if you manually switch aspect ratio's).

Interestingly, our new Panasonic TH-37PX70B plasma works a little differently. 'AUTO' mode simply fills the screen irrespective of the aspect ratio of the source material so we avoid that mode and set the default to 4:3 by selecting '4:3'. Again, it stays in 4:3 mode until a widescreen flag is received at which point it switches to 'WIDE'.

13. carl.waring

carl.waring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    That is exactly how mine works and I avoid it for the same reason. It doesn't do the other thing you mention in the first paragraph. Which is why I'm so worried about a new DVDR not switching as it should :)

14. LambyPie

LambyPie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah okay, somewhere along the line Panasonic have obviously changed the way their sets handle aspect ratio's. If you have set the aspect ratio to '4:3' and it automatically switches to 'WIDE' when it receives the widescreen flag with existing AV devices then your TV is working correctly. I don't think your TV is the problem.

Whether the DVDR switches as it should is another matter, but really it should work if the DVDR is set to 16:9. I think the person you spoke to in the shop was talking nonsense to be honest.

15. carl.waring

carl.waring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Well. There's good news. Looks like I don't have to worry too much about buying a new one now. I just did a firmware upgrade* and the old DVDR70 is working fine again :clap::smashin:

However, more interesting anomolies.

Like I said, I have a Tivo and, with them, you have a "VCR" SCART that sends signals from the Tivo to the attached VCR/DVD.

However, while mine is plugged into the TV SCART on my DVD - and works perfectly; effortlessly switching between 4:3 and W/S - my father's new Sony seems to need to have the SCART in the 'VCR' socket, which displays the same symptoms I have already explained in my first post; ie a squashed W/S picture in a 4:3 frame and he has to use the TV to switch between 4:3 and W/S.

We did try it in the TV SCART and it simply didn't work; although it did display the TV pic on bypass mode; ie the TV/DVD button; and in proper W/S too. Very strange :confused:

Technology; boldy going backwards :rolleyes: