Do all blu ray players ouput lpcm

johnboy35

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a ps3 :thumbsup: at the moment and i am looking to buy a yam 761 that can take the lpcm track that the ps3 outputs via hdmi the only thing that worries me is whether i would need to upgrade the amp again if and when i move onto a dedicated machine.

I use a ps3 :thumbsup: at the moment and i am looking to buy a yam 761 that can take the lpcm track that the ps3 outputs via hdmi the only thing that worries me is whether i would need to upgrade the amp again if and when i move onto a dedicated machine.

Hi johnboy35. :)
Research your amp and make sure it can decode bitstream HD audio :smashin: if your planning on taking that route in the future.
All the best.

Research your amp and make sure it can decode bitstream HD audio :smashin: if your planning on taking that route in the future.
All the best.

Right so buying say the yam 761 or the sony 912 that only takes the lpcm isnt a future proof way of getting into hd audio.

Right so buying say the yam 761 or the sony 912 that only takes the lpcm isnt a future proof way of getting into hd audio.

My amp can't decode bitstream HD,but can accept LPCM :cool: so i need a player that can decode all the HD soundtracks internally and then send :) so i use the PS3. :thumbsup:
I've tried several amps (HDMI 1.3) and different BD players,but i've always gone back to my original set-up :) PS3 and my Denon.
Personally,and this is just my opinion with my set-up ;) i never heard any improvement with Bitstreaming HD audio,so i never upgraded.
All the best.

No, they do not. But by the time you get around to upgrading chances are they'll be more common.

Johnboy35, a direct answer to your concern is, that relying on a LPCM-capable amp is most likely a future-proof solution.

First of all, supporting LPCM sound on disk is a mandatory feature of all Blu-ray players, and it would be strange indeed if it were not supported in the long run in the player-amp interface.

Secondly, Blu-ray profile 1.1. actually favours the LPCM interface, because in PiP commentaries, for example, you may want to be able to mix two audio tracks. I am not aware of any player being able to bitstream two HD soundtracks simultaneously or of any amp being capable of receiving, decoding and mixing two independently bitstreamed HD soundtracks. You therefore have to rely on the player to do the mixing, which is most naturally done in LPCM, and this implies that the player needs to decode the HD soundtracks, following which it is most natural to send the mixed output as LPCM to the amp. The only thing to look out for is that the player has all the HD codecs that are required for proper HD decoding. Of course, anything can change, but moving the mixing funtionality from the player to the amp does not appear to be currently in the works.

YellowSphere, just out of my personal ignorance: Which stand-alone Blu-ray player is it that does not currently output LPCM through HDMI, as I am unaware of any?

Good advice...but I would add, if your in the market for an AMP now, why not ensure it supports bit streamed audio...just in case :)

Johnboy 35, a direct answer to your concern is, that relying on a LPCM-capable amp is most likely a future-proof solution.

First of all, supporting LPCM sound on disk is a mandatory feature of all Blu-ray players, and it would be strange indeed if it were not supported in the long run in the player-amp interface.

Secondly, Blu-ray profile 1.1. actually favours the LPCM interface, because in PiP commentaries, for example, you may want to be able to mix two audio tracks. I am not aware of any player being able to bitstream two HD soundtracks simultaneously or of any amp being capable of receiving, decoding and mixing two independently bitstreamed HD soundtracks. You therefore have to rely on the player to do the mixing, which is most naturally done in LPCM, and this implies that the player needs to decode the HD soundtracks, following which it is most natural to send the mixed output as LPCM to the amp. The only thing to look out for is that the player has all the HD codecs that are required for proper HD decoding. Of course, anything can change, but moving the mixing funtionality from the player to the amp does not appear to be currently in the works.

Good advice...but I would add, if your in the market for an AMP now, why not ensure it supports bit streamed audio...just in case :)

Thanks for the addition, Lee. I was a bit focused on making the point that Blu-ray in itself is unlikely to require anything but LPCM in the foreseeable future. Of course, things change and there may even be other sources than Blu-ray for HD-audio, and it would certainly be prudent to take that into consideration.

Thanks for the addition, Lee. I was a bit focused on making the point that Blu-ray in itself is unlikely to require anything but LPCM in the foreseeable future. Of course, things change and there may even be other sources than Blu-ray for HD-audio, and it would certainly be prudent to take that into consideration.

Hi Onki. :)
As long as you have a player that can decode all soundtracks and an amp that can accept :cool: your never going to miss out on anything that Blu-ray has to offer,on the HD audio side. :smashin:
All the best.

Hi Onki. :)
As long as you have a player that can decode all soundtracks and an amp that can accept :cool: your never going to miss out on anything that Blu-ray has to offer,on the HD audio side. :smashin:
All the best.

All the best to you, too, Kingfats. I believe we are in complete agreement here: Having a player capable of everything and an amp capable of everything would lead to not missing out on anything. Cool.

Still, I believe the precise answer to johnboy35's original question is: If you now buy an amp capable of receiving LPCM through HDMI, you are very unlikely to need to upgrade it only because you buy a stand-alone Blu-ray player later on, although you might want to pay attention to the HD-audio decoding capabilities of that player, if you want the best audio quality.

YellowSphere, just out of my personal ignorance: Which stand-alone Blu-ray player is it that does not currently output LPCM through HDMI, as I am unaware of any?
I should've been more specific. I meant that not every machine outputs LPCM of internally-decoded Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA via HDMI as opposed to the soundtrack actually being LPCM on the BD itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom